• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest richt

Twin Fan Conversion

Guest richt

and how too do it?

Has anyone on here got any details of how to do it and how they have wired it up. Want to do it on mine, any advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Rich

Guest hd_andy

I was thinking about that last night. What car are you doing it on. It looks pretty straight forward on my 1.6 GTI just get another fan bolt it into the space and use the same wires as the other fan uses.

Rob_the_Sparky

Water/oil cooler (air/oil cooler gets in the way) and second fan. From there it depends on how you want it to operate, there are several ways of doing it, simplist being just a manual switch more complex = fully auto or fully auto + manul overide.

Rob

P.S. Manual overide switch is easy to install on existing fan.

Guest richt

I have a k reg 1.9 with oil/ water cooler.

Want the fan to either to come on with the normal one, or allow me to switch it on myself.

Edited by richt

Rob_the_Sparky

I've not done the conversion myself so don't want to wade in too deep here but for a manual switch you just need a switch in parallel with the relevant speed connector on the fan thermoswitch to ground, easy.

For second fan you need to hook up power and fuse for the fan then for manual switch just a simple switch to ground but for auto control you have a few options. If it were me I'd copy the diesel set-up and add a manual overide to the second setting:

2 fans on low speed for first temp setting

2 fans on high speed for second temp setting

Think it uses a couple of relays to achieve this but yet to sort it out. Maybe you could rip out all the wiring from a diesel?

Most people just leave the first fan as normal and hook up manual control to second as this is the easy option.

Rob

Guest richt

Cheers

Will have a look in the scrappers do all the d models have twin fans?

Rob_the_Sparky

AFAIK yes - there are a few poeple on here who have donea second fan conversion (not the diesel method) so will have more hands on knowledge than me.

Rob

Guest richt

Cheers again.

Dont mean to sound thick but what does AFAIK mean?

Edited by richt

Guest chownr

its an acronym (Think that sthe right word for it?)

Anyway it means As Far As I Know (AFAIK)

Guest richt

Nice one, couldnt work out what it stood for! :D

Rob_the_Sparky

:huh::o:ph34r: I've made a nasty error... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Thermo switch is a switch from 12V not to ground, don't follow earlier comment about switch to ground - that wouldn't be good! :D Just use switch to in parallel with thermoswitch.

Rob

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

RichE

I left my std one alone and got a second one, fitted it and wired it upto a switch on the dash.

Easy.

Mount switch, wire switch into relay, wire relay into fan, and battery

also put a fuse in the circuit as well, i run a 25 amp, with 27amp cable

Alan_M

Keep meanin gto finish mine. Got the second fan in but no wiring.

Bought a fused 25amp relay from Halfrauds and some 27amp wire to.

Get a centre console switch to from a scrappy.

In the centre console there is a small power feed which should be enough to switch relay coil.

Basically, take small power feed to switch then from switch to relay coil then to ground.

Then take a 12v feed via 27amp cable to relay contacts, tehnfrom other side of contact to the fan. Other side of fan to ground.

I think i've explained it right?

RichE

yup

then relay to switch as well

Sign in to follow this