• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dino20vt

How Do I Gearstick And Battery Tray

dino20vt

Sorry, dont know how to edit title!

Im not at the car so cant look, but is it easy to to swap a be3 gearstick to a be1 with reverse cable AND can a battery tray/gearbox mount be removed?

Edited by dino20vt

mattbenselin

The gearboxes are different so the gearstick style is dependant on type of box, you cant interchange i dont think.

The battery tray can be removed...undo/removed engine mount (engine needs a support from below/above), 2 bolts visible on top, 2 more which go into the inner arch, best reachable through the wheel arch and from underneath.

Goliath

To remove the gearstick you will need to undo the interior trim around the gearstick and pull out the lower part of the centre dash (the bit around the geatstick), then you undo about 5 10mm bolts that hold the gear stick into the shell.

To remove the battery tray you undo 2 x 13mm bolts on top (directly under the battery) and 2 x 13mm bolts on the chassis leg on the inside, sometimes these can be tricky to get to if the engine is still in.

dino20vt

Cheers for the quick reply! I should have put why I need to know. Basically im swapping engines, the old one had a be3, the new one a be1 so im going to swap gearsticks to match so wanted to know whats involved. And when i took the old engine out, the battery tray got in the way!

mattbenselin

You could just keep the BE3 box? Its a newer design and maybe done less mileage?

dino20vt

The 1.9 be3 is knackered and the ratios are too long, plus the be1 has been reconditioned and is already on the engine!