• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dk73

Changing Front And Rear Pads?

dk73

Hi there, ive a 1.9 pug 205 gti and i want to change the front discs to new ones and front and rear brake pads, just after a step by step account on this please has i have the tools etc but dont want to mess up. The brakes are bendix type, regards dave. :)

MrG

they are easy if the screws that fix the disc to the hub are ok and can be removed if not they need to be drilled out or removed by another way.

the fronts are easy but the rears can be a little trickier due to the small wedge that is used to stop the pads from falling out, we used brake cleaner and a wire brush to get rid of the crap that had built up but we still had to hammer the thing home!

I wish the rears were installed like the fronts, you just remove one bolt, then lift the housing up and access the pads, remove/replace and close the housing and do the bolt back up. Just be careful of the hose as it does stretch but just watch what you do.

have a read here as well >>> gives an idea although this is for a change or upgrade of brakes, it shows what is involved with a disc change at least, but you don't need to remove the calliper from the hose etc or would you need to bleed the system.

Edited by MrG

MrG

thats a better thing than the link I posted up. I didn't realise that was in PDF format and available. Page 138 on that pdf is where you want to be looking.

Edited by MrG

dk73
If you haven't got a Haynes there is one 205 Haynes Manual courtesy of Matts sig.

Nice one, a big thank you to every1. :)