• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
humanz

Horn Still Blowing, But It's Muffled.

humanz

Ok, my horn (a 1.6 snail horn) isn't working properly, as it still blows, but it sounds muffled. On Sunday I drove through quite a bit of water and figured some got into the horn. I thought after a chance to dry out, it would've sounded as per usual, but it hasn't. I checked the connection to the horn and it seems fine, although a bit rusty. I blasted it with some contacts cleaner, but the horn still sounds muffled. Is it really done with, or is there something else I can try to get the horn back to a useable state?

Thanks.

large

Before I read your post i was thinking it had water in it. you can get a new one for £5 or £20 for a good air horn.

DamirGTI

... and you can buy some decent one :( as the OE horn sounds a bit crappy and makes you feel kinda embarrassed when you step on it :D

This car should have proper horn note :P

Damir

maturin23

I replaced mine with a Stebel Nautilus for about £25 - it's LOUD, proper 'country' sounding horn :D

Rom

As said, its probably dying. And they sound weedy even when new.

I liberated an twin tone horn from an Avensis. Proper horn, you know, the aggressive ones, make people jump etc :D

MerlinGTI

The standard 1.6 horn is gay and camp sounding.

Insted of saying 'GET OUT THE BLOODY WAY YOU BASTARD' its more like 'CooEeee room for a little one?'

I robbed some snail horns off a Golf r32 and replaced my 1.6 items, much more manly :D

As they age/get more water in them, they get lamer.

EdCherry

Have you checked you havnt got a badger stuck in it?

humanz
Have you checked you havnt got a badger stuck in it?

Say what?

No badgers here.

I had my eye on a horn before I got the car on the road, but didn't purchase one, as one of the two horns was sill working. Will wait til I get some money sorted and purchase a new horn then. Cheers.

Was hoping I could spray something inside the horn to clear it up. Guess I'll have to add a horn to my ever growing list of things I desperately need.

lemmingzappa
Say what?

No badgers here.

I had my eye on a horn before I got the car on the road, but didn't purchase one, as one of the two horns was sill working. Will wait til I get some money sorted and purchase a new horn then. Cheers.

Was hoping I could spray something inside the horn to clear it up. Guess I'll have to add a horn to my ever growing list of things I desperately need.

Tbh I can't imagine horns are too expensive, probably a good excuse to get a new non-205 one :)

humanz
Tbh I can't imagine horns are too expensive, probably a good excuse to get a new non-205 one :P

Ah, well, prices here are...let's say....well, simply ridiculous. :D

Plus there are lots of other purchases I was planning on doing before summer, and the really heavy rains roll around.

Edited by humanz

DamirGTI

Scrapyard is the best place for such "pocket" spares :D

Damir :P

humanz
Scrapyard is the best place for such "pocket" spares :(

Damir :angry:

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. There's a guy here scrapping a 4 door 205 that I could check. Do you know if the base models used the same horn as the 1.6 GTIs?