• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cherry_red

No Spark On Mi16 Running 8v Management. Any Ideas?

cherry_red

Having problems with newly installed engine, don’t have a spark. Engine turns over fine on starter motor but there is no spark coming from the coil ht lead. The distributor signal cable (yellow 3 pin plug to distributor) connected to the ignition amplifier is broken, but as I am running carbs I figured this wasn’t needed. I tried connecting a light to the positive and negative terminal on the coil and nothing happened, so I guess no power is going to the coil. Everything was working on the previous engine when the dizzy signal cable wasn’t broken.

Any ideas???

:lol:

Anthony
The distributor signal cable (yellow 3 pin plug to distributor) connected to the ignition amplifier is broken, but as I am running carbs I figured this wasn’t needed.

That's your problem, as that's where the ignition amp gets its timing signal from - no timing signal, no spark.

cherry_red

Oh I see, glad I didn't call out an auto electrician £££. Didn't realize the coil depends on the signal from the distributor for the first spark.

cherry_red

Have replaced dizzy signal cable, but still no spark. Any ideas???? The engine is turning over but there is no spark coming from the coil HT lead. :lol:

EdCherry

Id guess the coil is incorrectly connected then, or its duff.

cherry_red

Well I may of wired it up wrong, 2 red cables going to positive and two green going to negative with 1 grey. Does that sound ok?

DamirGTI

Theres 3 wires inside the dizzy signal cable :

red

black

and one without insulation (shielding wire)

Connect black one on the top and red one on the bottom on the dizzy pick up coil terminals , like this :

IMG_6239.jpg

IMG_6242.jpg

.. so -> black wire up , red wire under the black one ..

Then , take the multimeter , set it on the "buzzer"/speaker and back probe this two terminals on the dizzy cable yellow 3pin connector :

IMG_6384-1.jpg

.. as it's highlighted on the picture these two are back and red wire terminals on the end of the 3pin plug side (third one in the corner is shielding wire terminal but that one isn't important for this test ..) , connect multimeter probes on the black/red terminals and turn the engine by hand with the socket via crank pulley (remove the plugs as it'll be easier to spin the engine !) if it's good you'll need to hear - intermittent sound from the multimeter/buzzer when you spin the engine , as the pick up coil signal is open when stationary and intermittent once the engine starts to spin (you'll see that the speed of the sound from the multimeter will be faster/slower depending on how fast you turn the engine ...)

Have fun !

Damir :D

DamirGTI

... and this is Motronic 1.3 ignition amp , CAS sensor and coil wiring layout (as im not quite sure what you have there Jetronic or Motronic loom ?!) :

CASsensorloom-1.jpg

Motronic-1.jpg

Motroniccoil-1.jpg

Damir

cherry_red

Thanks for that Damir, this should be a great help.

cherry_red

Checked all the ignition wires & connections, a few were loose so reattached them, but still no spark. I have checked the positive terminal on the LT leads on the coil and they are getting power, as they powered up my facet fuel pump. Now I'm thinking I may have a dodgy coil or ignition amplifier???

What kind of price are we talking to replace the coil and ignition amplifier?

P.S If there's anyone in the Bath area who loves fiddling with 205's and car electrics and doesn't mind giving me some help, give me a shout. :ph34r:

bensonmi

when i had an mi on 8v management before had same problem no spark, turned out to be the immobiliser playing up! might be worth a check if you have one :ph34r:

cherry_red
when i had an mi on 8v management before had same problem no spark, turned out to be the immobiliser playing up! might be worth a check if you have one :ph34r:

I don't have an immobilizer, well pretty sure I don't. Would of thought the immobilizer would also stop the starter motor as well as the ignition.

bensonmi
I don't have an immobilizer, well pretty sure I don't. Would of thought the immobilizer would also stop the starter motor as well as the ignition.

not on mine it did'nt for some reason, saying that though it was a really cheap, poorly fitted and old immobiliser that had been potched around with by previous owners.

maybe you have a loose connection somewhere, maybe worth going over the look just to see if any thing has come loose or broken if you have'nt already done so.

welshpug

no, many don't do that much, most purely cut power to the fuel pump and if you're lucky the coil.

sideways danny

tachimetric relay ok?

cRaig

If you wanna borrow my coil to check it, I can drop by again at some point.. :lol:

cherry_red

Hi, thanks for the offer mate, but I think you have the phase 2 type which has a slightly different wiring setup.

timb1046

hey, im in keynsham and have an entire spare loom for the 8v, including ign amp etc, all known to be working, off a H 1991, (p1.5?)

cherry_red

Just had a call out mechanic look at my car, he said I will need a new custom wiring loom made up :lol:

I am a little apprehensive about this as I don't want to have to spend loads on a new loom if it worked fine in my car before.

Seemed to be the LT negative leads on the coil that were the problem, as I can get a spark if i pass a wire from the negative battery terminal to the negative coil.

Getting really fed up now, can any one help me?? Beer or beer money??? :)

welshpug

I was about to say why don't you just run it on Mi16 management, it'll run so much better.

then I noticed you are on carbs, and still think the same especially compared to what its doing right now!

Daz_C

If your getting a spark when you feed a negative from the battery then I'd guess its the ignition amp ?

On mine the negative on the coil goes to the ignition amp.

Not a brilliant diagram I know but its all there and shows all the wiring that will make it fire..... aslong as everything else is in working order.

carbs1-3.gif

Hope its of some help.

mang

did you ever find the problem because my mi16 is doing the same thing

mang

iv found the problem it was a relay

Sign in to follow this