• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vickiw106

Rear Brakes

vickiw106

other than spending lots of money

is there a mod for the rear brakes.

for example on the front you can run the 306 gti-6 setup

is there anything like this for the rear or is the standard gti disc setup the best

thanks

ian

j_turnell

Standard are perfectly adequate, can change the disks and pads to uprated items if you wish. But its the front that do the majority or the braking so its not so much of an issue.

Anthony
for example on the front you can run the 306 gti-6 setup

is there anything like this for the rear or is the standard gti disc setup the best

Remember that 306 GTi-6's and the like use the same rear calipers and disk size as a 205, and as James says, for what 98% of people are going to do they're more than upto the job. If you're running bigger brakes up front (eg GTi-6) then I personally find running more pressure to the rear brakes beneficial, but otherwise I leave them alone and concentrate my attention elsewhere.

welshpug

the gti6 does use a larger 32mm piston in the rear calipers, apart from that they're identical.

Tom Fenton

You could convert the rears to vented discs, almost certainly not needed on 99% of cars though, although gravel rally cars who left foot brake a lot may benefit. I've just done it to a car I'm building but only because I had parts to do it and decided to use them up rather than spend money on standard solid rear discs.

Anthony
the gti6 does use a larger 32mm piston in the rear calipers, apart from that they're identical.

Interesting, I didn't realise that - looking on the Parts CD, looks like Phase 1 GTi-6's, and Phase 2 1.8/2.0 XSi 16v and GTi-6 models use the same rear calipers (4401 A2/3), and 205 1.9 GTi, 309 GTi, 106 GTi, 206 GTi, and non-GTi-6 Phase 1 306's all use the same calipers (4401 61/2)

Off the top of your head, do you know what size the piston is on the 440161/2 calipers from 205's etc?

welshpug

30mm I'm pretty certain it is, think it was on brakeparts.co.uk I found that when I was lookign for a repair kit.

My ZX has the larger 32mm ones :lol:

Goes with the gti6 setup of a larger front piston and larger MC than most cars, you'd get less braking pressure with a smaller caliper piston.

my zx has quite an odd setup of 54mm piston 266mm S16 front calipers, 32mm rear caliper pistons, and a 23.8mm MC, gives great pedal feel.

Rippthrough

As Mei says, it's to correct the brake balance from using the larger front pistons and master cylinders.

Anthony
As Mei says, it's to correct the brake balance from using the larger front pistons and master cylinders.

There must be more than that to it though, by the fact that Phase 2 1.8 and 2.0 XSi 16v models also use the "GTi-6 spec" rear calipers - and they only have 22mm MC and 266mm (with 54mm pistons IIRC) calipers, just like many other models that use the "205 spec" rear calipers, including Phase 1 306 XSi/S16 and Phase 2/3 306 HDi's for example.

On a seperate note, I wonder how many cars out there are running with mismatched rear calipers, given that the likes of GSF only list what I assume to be the calipers with the smaller pistons as being applicable for all? Certainly I'll be checking my stack of spare rear calipers to see what I've got...

Rippthrough

This being Peugeot, it could just be there was a shortage of 30mm calipers on the shelf... :lol:

Are they on the 'heavy duty' spec suspension that's lower than the standard 306, as that could explain it - lower = less weight transfer = more rear bias needed?

Edited by Rippthrough

Tom Fenton

I think the bigger ones have "32" stamped/cast into the body near the piston IIRC?

welshpug

not sure, I'll have to check mine later!

most 306's used a load compensator as opposed to an inline pressure limiting valve, these are listed with different part numbers for the RS engined models.