• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Saveit

1.6 16v - Possible?

Saveit

Hi there,

Was thinking of taking a 1.6 8v engine, pull the head off, install new 16v pistons and throw an mi16 head on. Now how do i go about this? Get the pistons machined to accept 8v conrods? Order custom conrods (from where?)? Or can i do some other thing? The thing is, that it will be used for racing in a 1600 class so i need it to be a 1.6.

I cant really make up my mind to whether i should go 8v or 16v route. What do you think you can pull from a 1.6 8v and 16v fully upgrated to highest specs? I saw guy croft making 174bhp on a 1.6 8v. 8v route would of course be easier, but how will the gains be with a 16v head?

Stefan

DrSarty

I'm positive this has been covered more than once Saveit. Have you tried a search, as I know Batfink was experiment with not only 1.6 16v, but 1.7 litre; just to be different?

There was even a thread recently about a 1.6 16v doing road rallies and was an absolute screamer. It included video. Go have a look.

Edited by DrSarty

James_R

As said been discussed many times, worth mentioning the newer 16v heads boost CR more easily than the Mi/s16 varients

Saveit

Ah sorry, my bad, should have put a little more effort in to searching. But which newer 16v heads are we talking James? 306 gti or xsi head? Or just a newer mi16 - perhaps from the 2.0 l?

Anthony
Ah sorry, my bad, should have put a little more effort in to searching. But which newer 16v heads are we talking James? 306 gti or xsi head? Or just a newer mi16 - perhaps from the 2.0 l?

XU7JP4 (115hp 1.8 16v), XU10J4R (136hp 2.0 16v) and XU10J4RS (GTi-6) heads have the smaller chambers AFAIK.

XU9J4 (1.9 Mi) and XU10J4 (2.0 Mi/S16) have the same size chamber.

36cc vs 40cc rings a bell for some reason, but might well be wrong.

welshpug

I think you're correct on those two figures Anthony, I've looked into building something along these lines and it's fairly straightforward bar the issue of needing custom pistons to fit the 150.5mm XU5/7 conrods to gain enough compression.

You can use standard XU9J4 pistons modified to fit but the compression ratio will be in the mid 9's, around the same as the 8v engines but a good bit lower than all the 16v XU's (bar the low compression XU9J4)

Saveit

Yeah i just read through the other thread. But which of those 36cc heads is best when it comes to flow and so on? Must the the GTI6?

Regarding pistons; Hiflowheads have high comp pistons especially for the 1.6 16v conversion they write. You can see the pistons in their catalogue for a 205. Price is £575.

Sign in to follow this