• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikespug

Rust Under The Windscreen

mikespug

hi just sorting my wipers out so removed the intake grille to have a look at the motor ( all sorted now ) but could see rust where i pulled the grille out from under the rubber :wub:

have a good look (wish i did`t) it look bad really BAD

looks to me as if it go`s right up to the window in about 4 spots

the spots must be about 2 or 3in long

what can i do cant stop thinking about it as it is more or less ready for the road

thanks mike

BERTMAN

without pics, its hard to say mate...

mikespug

will take it apart tomorrow for photos then

thanks mike

djinuk

yea get some pics up mate, end of the day it may be worth jst getting it repaired before it hits the road.

mikespug
yea get some pics up mate, end of the day it may be worth jst getting it repaired before it hits the road.

could it be repaired ??

after all the work and money i have put in to it over the last month i`m worried about it being to bad. you cant see much because or the rubber round the window but will try to get photos tomorrow even if its raining :blink:

thanks mike

Rom

Pretty much anything can be repaired !

Mine had bubbles in the bottom corners, but not bad enough to poke through with a screwdriver. Its only going to get worse with time.

If your ready to fix it, id take the screen out, so you can have a proper look. Then go from there, once youve seen how bad it is, you can take the approriate course of action.

djinuk

anything is repairable mate, id sort it now rather than later, you never know it may just be sufrace.. Have no fear mate, ive found 205s dont rust badly.

mikespug
anything is repairable mate, id sort it now rather than later, you never know it may just be sufrace.. Have no fear mate, ive found 205s dont rust badly.

thats making me feel a bit better :mellow:

just doing some jobs to keep the other 1/2 happy lol then will be out there with my tool box and camera :D

thanks for reply`s people

mike

mikespug

photos starting from drivers side

click on photos for a better look

DSCF0160.JPG

DSCF0161.JPG

DSCF0162.JPG

DSCF0163.JPG

DSCF0164.JPG

thanks mike

Rom

First and second pics look like they might be saveable, rest look like they have gone through, or will once cleaned up.

They need to be ground back to clean metal, and see whats left. Id consider getting a donor panel, and replacing if it were me.

Though it could be patched and skimmed id imagine. Depends what your timscale and budget is like.

mikespug
First and second pics look like they might be saveable, rest look like they have gone through, or will once cleaned up.

They need to be ground back to clean metal, and see whats left. Id consider getting a donor panel, and replacing if it were me.

Though it could be patched and skimmed id imagine. Depends what your timscale and budget is like.

would that be poss ???

would i need to cut that 1 out get a new 1 and get it welded in ??

sorry but this has put me on a right downer

thanks mike

Rom

As has been said, anythings possible :(

Have a look at the first page on my build thread in the works section. Youll see how bad the section above the door was, the outer skin was taken off, and a outer skin from another car was welded in place. The panel isnt available new.

Im not sure if this is the right bit..Number 5 in the pic , part number 7147 23, no price listed for it though. Cant make out if it the right bit.

post-7946-1240083922_thumb.jpg

If its not available new, you could cut it out of another car. But it would be a bodyshop job to have it put on your car, well at least its not something id try.

Ive not repaired any bodywork for years, on previous cars. I know Damir has done a lot recently, probbaly have some better advice. But personally, id prefer new metal in there, rather than patching up the old stuff.

mikespug
As has been said, anythings possible B)

Have a look at the first page on my build thread in the works section. Youll see how bad the section above the door was, the outer skin was taken off, and a outer skin from another car was welded in place. The panel isnt available new.

Im not sure if this is the right bit..Number 5 in the pic , part number 7147 23, no price listed for it though. Cant make out if it the right bit.

post-7946-1240083922_thumb.jpg

If its not available new, you could cut it out of another car. But it would be a bodyshop job to have it put on your car, well at least its not something id try.

Ive not repaired any bodywork for years, on previous cars. I know Damir has done a lot recently, probbaly have some better advice. But personally, id prefer new metal in there, rather than patching up the old stuff.

ROM YOU ARE THE MAN !!!! :D

that is the part i need thank you very much just need to look in to a bit more now :(

if you ear ever out my way let me no i o u a drink

thanks mike

joe1joe

well depending on how bad the replacement panel is to do.... well cant remember how big this section is!

it might be worth just patching it, but is always alot nice to repair properly......

on the other hand u could leave it for a while and repair it at a later date if u are going to use it over the summer??

but i would want to get it out the way, but loks like it wont afect the paint work! so in a way ur lucky

M@tt

i had the same on mine when i was restoring it and we patched it before its respray and has been fine ever since. It's alot easier to patch it that replace the whole thing

mikespug
well depending on how bad the replacement panel is to do.... well cant remember how big this section is!

it might be worth just patching it, but is always alot nice to repair properly......

on the other hand u could leave it for a while and repair it at a later date if u are going to use it over the summer??

but i would want to get it out the way, but loks like it wont afect the paint work! so in a way ur lucky

in no but need to get a new window fitted :(

1 thing after another :D

Tom Fenton

I'd get the screen out and with a softpad on a grinder carefully clean it back and see what you have. Doesn't look that bad in all honesty but until you grind all the crap off you won't know either way.

mikespug
I'd get the screen out and with a softpad on a grinder carefully clean it back and see what you have. Doesn't look that bad in all honesty but until you grind all the crap off you won't know either way.

thats what i would like to do but dont no how to take the window out and would need to put it back in because its sat on my drive

thanks mike

Tom Fenton

Push it out with the soles of your feet, gently in the top corners. This will push it out of the rubber. Get a mate to catch it as it comes out.

Honestly this is how to do it!!

mikespug
Push it out with the soles of your feet, gently in the top corners. This will push it out of the rubber. Get a mate to catch it as it comes out.

Honestly this is how to do it!!

lol really ????

how would i get it back in ????

Rom

Getting it back in is a bit trickier, think there was a guide somewhere.

Think the general jist, is to run some cord / string inside the seal, then as its going in, you pull the string out which engages the seal. I just got a bodyglass compnay to take my front and rear screens out for my respray, and put them back in after. Someone to blame for leaks then :(

Once youve taken the screen out, and started attackign it, its too late to go back, so be prepared to finish what you start.

As said, unless your happy to pay for a bodyshop to do it, id forget the replacment panel. As its probably quite a big job.

Theres nothing wrong with patching it, if its done properly.

Im still in my respray mode, listening to the bodyshop guy, hes brainwashed me to his way of thinking, replace replace replace !!!

mikespug
Getting it back in is a bit trickier, think there was a guide somewhere.

Think the general jist, is to run some cord / string inside the seal, then as its going in, you pull the string out which engages the seal. I just got a bodyglass compnay to take my front and rear screens out for my respray, and put them back in after. Someone to blame for leaks then :(

Once youve taken the screen out, and started attackign it, its too late to go back, so be prepared to finish what you start.

As said, unless your happy to pay for a bodyshop to do it, id forget the replacment panel. As its probably quite a big job.

Theres nothing wrong with patching it, if its done properly.

Im still in my respray mode, listening to the bodyshop guy, hes brainwashed me to his way of thinking, replace replace replace !!!

so what would be the best way to patch it ? body filler or ????

thanks mike

Rom

Well, depending how bad it is really. But welding in plates should be better than filler. If you can cut all the rot out, and replace it with fresh metal it should last longer, than filling over the rot.

By the time youve cleaned it all up, there could be some pretty large holes, which ould be hard to fill anyway.

But, im no expert :( I just gave mine to a bodyshop to sort out.

M@tt

fook tom and you say i'm a ham fisted f#ck :D

window is easy to get out , get yourself a couple of flat blade screwdrivers and start on the inside in one corner and just push the seal lip behind the metal window frame, takes about 10mins to do.

getting it back in is a case of a bit of plastic covered washing line and some fairy liquid :(

Edited by M@tt

mikespug

thanks people mite just give it a go tomorrow

wish me luck and stand by for me to get stuck ;lol

will take photos as i go so you can see

thanks mike