• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Speedo Cable

timmsy19

Hi all

went to get a new speedo cable today but the stealers said there is 2 lengths listed for 1.9 8v

an 880mm and 1100mm apparently

whch one would i need for my Mi'd 205?

thanks

Tom Fenton

Short one is for LHD cars I believe.

Anthony

Definately the longer of the two that you need - as Tom says, I believe the shorter is for LHD cars.

j_turnell

As above you need the longer one of the two.

timmsy19

sweet. i did think the longer of the two. its also the cheaper of the two <_<

thanks guys

Rock Lobster

How much do they want for them out of interest?

j_turnell

Last time i bought one from pug was around £28

timmsy19

think the guy said about £22 for the longer and £26ish for the shorter one

Edited by timmsy19

Super Josh

And if you are doing a GTi6 conversion, you want the even longer one from a 405, to clear the '6 manifold nicely :)

Josh

Simes

and from what I heard last week Pug sell you a universal kit which you can also buy at GSF for cheaper.

welshpug
and from what I heard last week Pug sell you a universal kit which you can also buy at GSF for cheaper.

that's the accelerator cable not speedo cable :)

Simes
that's the accelerator cable not speedo cable :wub:

oh yeah, that's what happens when you try to do 6 things at once.

*oops*

pug_ham

I keep meaning to look into which of these two can be used on a RHD 205 because the length is only from the ball on the cable that fits against the bulkhead rubber grommet & not the whole length of the cable.

I got one for mine last year after mine died & I asked for the longer of those listed. If anything its long, more like a 405 one as suggested by Super Josh so I'm going to swap it for a better length one soon.

Graham.

timmsy19

so if it only goes from the ball on the bulthead i take it that means i wont have to take apart the dash?

Edited by timmsy19

lemmingzappa
so if it only goes from the ball on the bulthead i take it that means i wont have to take apart the dash?

If that turns out to be true, it's a small weight off my mind :blink:

timmsy19

yeah same here. thought it would be a right ballache to sort out. might make a nice change fixing something thats simple this weekend.

chrisj21

You still have to remove the clocks to change the cable.

I replaced mine last weekend, a pain as mine had snapped where the cable pin enters the speedo drive on the gearbox so i had to remove this to.

Only takes 5 minutes to remove the clock surround. if you remove the heater controls and panel there are two screws behind this. then remove the heater vent above, coin tray and triangular cover and there a further three screws here to remove and then one torx head to undo on the clock surround near the drivers door located through a small hole.

Pop the surround off and then theres just two screws securing the clocks to the dash. unplug the wires and the clocks will come out.

I also found it easier to remove the lower dash panel above the pedals so i could feed the cable up towards the clocks.

The engine bay part is supprsingly easy.

Hope this helps

Chris

timmsy19

thanks chris i'll have a go at it today

chrisj21

You also may have two screws located through the sterring column surround holding the speedo surround on. Forgot about these as i removed mine.

Chris

timmsy19

ok thanks Chris

well i picked up the cable this morning Pug part number 6123.c5 £23.53 inc VAT

pug_ham

I think you've misunderstood what I meant.

I think the different lengths of the cable are measured from the ball thats part way along the cable outer & stops in the rubber bulkhead grommit to the gearbox drive.

You still have to take the dash apart to remove the clocks to replace a spedo cable but you can get to the bulkhead hole from the footwell so only the top of the dash needs stripping down to remove the clocks & un-clip / refit the new cable end into the clocks.

Graham.

Grim.Badger

I got the longer of the two cables for my last GTi; It was far too long and ended up wrapping around itself somehow and snapped :D

mickie
ok thanks Chris

well i picked up the cable this morning Pug part number 6123.c5 £23.53 inc VAT

what length is this one then ? or is it just the standard lendth for a 205gti 1600/1900 ?

i was in the dealers the other day and he told me theres 6 different types..

DrSarty

And I also strongly recommend getting the cable out of the bag in the 'shop' and measuring it, even comparing it to any others they may have.

GSF bagged one up incorrectly and I ended up with a short one in a long bag, which involved a f*cking yo-yo day to and from Manchester. :P

Further to that though, in future I would always by OE from Pug, as I think they provide a smoother (less jumpy) reading over time as the lubrication gets attacked by exhaust heat.

Edited by DrSarty

mickie

any idea what the standard length is ? i'd of measured mine but i threw it away thinking there was only one type for the gti