• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BusEngineer

Suspension Set Up

BusEngineer

Im currently gathering parts for my 205 suspension and brakes when it comes back from painting

I have most of the parts now barring springs so just wanted to run it by everyone and get some opinion as to whether im doing the right thing

It will have my rebuilt Mi16 up front

Heres what i have sorted so far

Front Black Bilstien shockers, Eibach 35mm springs (still to get), GrpN top mount rubbers, new SKF bearings, 309 wishbones and driveshafts, 266mm brakes (not sure what braided hoses i need for these? do 1.9 ones fit?), upper strut brace

Rear Gti6 rear dampers (or yellow bilstien dampers i have also), 309 rear beam (fully refurbed by myself) with solid mounts lowered 30-35mm, 1.9 rear discs, pads and calipers

The car will be used for mainly road, and the odd track day

So the question is am i missing anything/is the set up i have any good?? <_<

Edited by BusEngineer

swordfish210

Sounds pretty good for what you're using it for. If you find the front end a bit on the soft side you might want to consider some of the Eibach springs for a 106 GTI as i hear they're a bit stiffer then the 205 ones.

Edited by swordfish210

Miles

the 106 & 205 springs are listed as the same now, 7001-120's

Get some good wishbone bushes fitted too

BusEngineer

The wishbones are poly bushed

Miles, will 1.9 braided brake hoses fit my 266mm brake calipers??

Miles

Not sure to be honest, never fitted any 266 one's, Best thing is to try and check for pipe for kink's on full droop and full lock both ways

Anthony
Miles, will 1.9 braided brake hoses fit my 266mm brake calipers??

For what it's worth, last time I fitted some 266mm 306 XSi/S16 brakes to a 205 with Goodrich hoses, they fitted fine (although I doubt they'd have fitted anything bigger)

Stu

I ran this exact setup more or less and found it really good, and certainly brilliant for a road biased car.

Nice and compliant, handled really well, the only thing i found on track was that it became a little unsettled over less than smooth tarmac at speed; i put this down to the Billies, as the Koni's with rebound adjustment have got rid of it.

Ive upgraded to Konis all round and a 22mm anti-roll bar at the rear and its gone up a step again, but that said, its a little less enjoyable on the road now.

Edited by Stu

j_turnell

I ran a very similar setup to this apart from i had a 24mm rear arb and 309 front arb, which finished it off imo, handled awesome on the road.

BusEngineer

Ah yes i forgot to mention the ARB :wub:

Ive got a 309 front ARB too :P

Just really glad that my set up sounds OK, what a relief :lol: just one thing which rears dampers should i use? the GTi6 or yellow Billies??

Baz
Ive upgraded to Konis all round and a 22mm anti-roll bar at the rear and its gone up a step again, but that said, its a little less enjoyable on the road now.

Funny you say that, i find mine, Full Koni's, 22mm RARB sublime!! :wub:

James_R

IF you're putting a 309 front ARB in you'll need a stiffer rear to stop it becoming understeery :wub:

BusEngineer

Stiffer rear??

ARB or Torsion bars?? :wub:

j_turnell

Youll need a bigger ARB as James says it will understeer heavily, i ran just the front ARB with the standard 309 rear briefly and it was terrible, fitted a 24mm and problem solved.

BusEngineer

So where do i get a 24mm ARB, and how much am i looking at??

number2301
So where do i get a 24mm ARB, and how much am i looking at??

You could always try the Whiteline adjustable rear arb for £100. If you check the last page of my progress thread it's in there.

BusEngineer

Not keen as it looks a bit of a messy solution, as im assuming a cut down 306 ARB will do the job??

Where do you cut them down though??

Henry 1.9GTi

as said, need a bigger rear to counter the front one. I still find it a tad understeery with a 25mm rear arb on a narrower 205 beam.

309PUG was suppling arb's for all shaps and sizes.

welshpug
as said, need a bigger rear to counter the front one. I still find it a tad understeery with a 25mm rear arb on a narrower 205 beam.

309PUG was suppling arb's for all shaps and sizes.

I bet you're not trying hard enough, or too hard :D

AdamP

I'm running a shortened GTi-6 24mm ARB (19mm tbs) on the back with a standard 17mm(?) GTi front (spax springs) and there is now pretty much zero understeer on turn in, you can throw it in at stupid speeds and if anything the back will start to come out. However put the power down too early and it will start to push wide again, so you can really control it with the throttle! It's a tad twitchy in the wet but i expect the extra width of the 309 beam would reduce that a bit.

Tom Fenton

I've shortened a couple of 306 GTI rear antiroll bars now, its a really easy mod and well worth doing IMO.

j_turnell
I've shortened a couple of 306 GTI rear antiroll bars now, its a really easy mod and well worth doing IMO.

Did you just cut and weld the end plate on Tom?