• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lemmingzappa

Split Driveshaft & Corroded Water Pipe

lemmingzappa

I took my 1.6 GTi to a garage today to get the cambelt and waterpump changed, but the guy looked about under the car and noticed that the driveshafts are knackered, one of them has actually cracked open. I'm assuming this is the cause of the knocking sound I hear when turning corners ?

He also said that they need new oil seals, i've posted pictures below to confirm.

splitshaft.th.jpg

sealy.th.jpg

seal2r.th.jpg

I was quoted £100 per driveshaft by both Peugeot & the guy at the garage, can they be bought any cheaper new ?

He also refused to change the belt and waterpump as a water pipe was corroded and he was afraid it would split if he moved it, i've also pictured this below, does it look dodgy ?

rusty.th.jpg

I was also told that a bunch of bolts near the cambelt had seized so he didn't want to shear them off as it might mean removing my whole engine ?

Thanks for any help or advice in advance. :rolleyes:

Anthony

That metal water pipe is very prone to corroding and eventually leaking - a new one from Peugeot is about £12 or so from memory.

If the CV boot has been split for a while then the CV itself is likely to be knackered and will likely be the cause of the knock-knock-knock noise you get when cornering (particularly under power). A new driveshaft from GSF will likely be around £60 or so (not checked the pricing) but obviously labour on top of that, plus a driveshaft oil seal (about £5 a side) and gearbox oil (about £10 for 2 litres)

lemmingzappa

I'm assuming the cv boot is that rubber gaiter on the end of the driveshaft, if not, any chance of a pic so I can check it myself ?

Are those rubber boots supplied with new driveshafts ?

richsmells

These are common problems. I had exactly the same when I first bought my 205. Both shafts, oil seals and the metal pipe. I was lucky the head gasket didn't pop, by the time I had driven it home there was barely any water left in it!

Driveshafts are supplied as a complete unit, usually in exchange for your old ones.

Edited by richsmells

Anthony
I'm assuming the cv boot is that rubber gaiter on the end of the driveshaft, if not, any chance of a pic so I can check it myself ?

Are those rubber boots supplied with new driveshafts ?

CV boot is indeed the split rubber gaitor in the first picture.

New driveshafts are supplied complete and ready to fit, including CV boots.

jimistdt

I have a 1.6 driver side driveshaft Mr Zappa, if you want it give me a fiver and cover postage and its yours

lemmingzappa
I have a 1.6 driver side driveshaft Mr Zappa, if you want it give me a fiver and cover postage and its yours

I take it it's not new ?

The previous owner of my 205 said he had replaced both shafts with 2nd hand ones already, and they've turned out to be useless. So I'm not sure if I want to skip on durability again ?

jimistdt

Hi, buddy its not new, hence the considerable saving.

Its your call, I'll post a pic on this thread tomorrow and you can decide for yourself <_<

lemmingzappa

Here's my basket on GSF:

34403992.jpg

I've noticed the surcharge on driveshafts.

Does this mean I can order 2 new ones, then once i've fitted them to the car, take the old ones to ANY GSF branch and they will refund me £50 ?

Is that metal pipe the correct piece ?

(I couldn't find those driveshaft oil seals on GSF)

Anthony
Does this mean I can order 2 new ones, then once i've fitted them to the car, take the old ones to ANY GSF branch and they will refund me £50 ?

Is that metal pipe the correct piece ?

Correct on the surcharge front, and yes, that is the correct metal pipe.

The driveshaft oil seals are on there somewhere, or certainly were last time I checked!

jimistdt

Yes thats the right metal pipe

Anthony

Driveshaft oil seals are listed as N31170 (LH) for £3.70 and N31172 (RH) for £4.95

lemmingzappa

Ok well i've only ordered 2 driveshafts with matching seals due to funds. I just hope these "bolts" near the cambelt arnt too rusty.

Pm'd you re a driveshaft - hope it's not too late for you!

Miles

Don;t use the seal's, they leak which is why I stoped using them, for a few quid extra it's worth getting the Pug ones

The bolt's by the Cambelt sounds odd, I;d take it to another Garage as it sounds like he doesn;t know what he's doing, The engine is found in most of the PSA range so at least well known

lemmingzappa
Don;t use the seal's, they leak which is why I stoped using them, for a few quid extra it's worth getting the Pug ones

:)

Are GSF Watford likely to refund the two seals when I take my old driveshafts to them ?

kyepan

if you're nice and they are still packaged, there is a good chance.

your mechanic does sound like he is reluctant to work on your car.

DaveW

Bewarned about that cv boot like that as it will loose all the grease and it will friction weld it self together! i know as it happened to me once...

lemmingzappa

Recieved the driveshafts today, do I need to grease them or anything like that before they go on the car ?

snooks

They will come ready to be fitted to that car.

lemmingzappa

I have a couple of worries now i've fitted the drivers side shaft.

I accidentally left that white "seal protector" on the seal and then fitted the driveshaft, I only found out I was supposed to remove it after re-reading the haynes. Will it be ok, if not, can it be removed without taking the shaft out again ?

Secondly, the two 11mm nuts that you have to loosen before taking the shaft out...... Once I had pushed the new shaft all the way in, I just made sure the bolts sat inside their "recesses" and tightened them up. Were they supposed to be re-sat and re-tightened after the new shaft went in ? (the previous owner had actually kept one of the bolts still by using a cable tie, and not even a nut !.... I couldn't find an 11mm nut that would fit so I used a 13mm one, hopefully that will be ok.)

lemmingzappa

Both new driveshafts are fully fitted and working.

Does anyone know if I need to remove that white oil seal protector, or does it stay on the car ?

M@tt

you leave that protector on it :P

Tom Fenton

You need some M7 nuts to properly do up the intermediate bearing securing bolts, 13mm (M8) won't allow them to be tightened properly.

lemmingzappa
You need some M7 nuts to properly do up the intermediate bearing securing bolts, 13mm (M8) won't allow them to be tightened properly.

Thanks I'll try and get hold of a couple today :P