• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

1.9 Engine Into 1.6

Kennyb

Hi guys....ok im gonna swap a 1.9 engine into a 1.6 shell

Should i also be swapping drive shafts...and does this mean i then need to swap hubs aswell to fit the 1.9 shafts?

Also anything else I should be thinking about when swapping to the 1.9?

Cheers

welshpug

No need at all IMO if it's all in good condition.

A friends rally car last weekend highlighted just how much difference good pads and fluid makes to the 1.6 brakes, the tyres were going off way before the brakes.

you would need to swap the hubs if you wanted to use the 1.9 driveshafts, and you'd have to use 1.9 discs, you would use either brake caliper though.

mattbenselin

I have a 1.9 in 1.6 shell and found the brakes and driveshafts (only real differing parts) to work fine. I think only if you are going to be pushing your car to limits will the thicker 1.9 shafts take more abuse. I now have some 1.9 calipers as they are a slight upgrade to the 1.6 bendix units. They will bolt up to 1.6 hubs if you use 1.6 discs as they have a different offset. If you want to convert to 1.9 calipers, discs and pads you have 2 choices: 1) use 1.9 driveshafts and hubs, 2) use base model/diesel hubs as these take 1.6 driveshafts but have the same offset as 1.9 hubs. The discs are the same diameter (247mm) vented type on both 1.6 and 1.9, just the calipers are stronger and more reliable from a 1.9.

DrSarty

Just another approach (i.e. IMO), why wouldn't you?

If you have 14" wheels you wouldn't get them over 1.9 hubs/calipers/disks; so you may have to go up to 15" wheels/tyres which could be another cost.

The 1.9 shafts are thicker (handle more stick) and the associated brakes are bigger, arguably better - but as stated not essential, as the 1.6 brakes with good pads and fluid are adequate.

The cost could be £200 plus to do the change (not including the wheels etc) if you used new driveshafts & second hand other bits. The work would just be a morning not withstanding awkward nuts and bolts. :rolleyes:

New wheel/hub bearings too may be even more cost if needed.

Just more to consider. :wacko:

danpug

As already said, if your 1.6 bits are healthy then just use those. I used 1.6 shafts for quite a while on an mi16 conversion and they coped with the abuse fine so a 1.9 8v won't test them.

richsmells

Any differences to the bearings etc in the base model hubs, when compared with 1.6 items?

I have the 1.6 setup (but with 1.9 calipers) and 1.9 wheels. Yeah, it has the wider track, but i'm convinced the offset is wrong. The turn in doesn't feel quite right.

Edited by richsmells

Miles

You can use some base model hub's with the 1.6 shaft's, So the bearings are the same just less offset.

I;ve got to fit these to mine so I can fit the Brembo's on

Paulmac19

MY CTI 19 all uses 1.6 running gear as standard even drums in the rear you wont have any problem these 1.6 shafts can cope with the stresses of the 1.9 engine all day long

C_W

If you have 14" wheels you wouldn't get them over 1.9 hubs/calipers/disks; so you may have to go up to 15" wheels/tyres which could be another cost.

The 1.9 shafts are thicker (handle more stick) and the associated brakes are bigger, arguably better - but as stated not essential, as the 1.6 brakes with good pads and fluid are adequate.

Are you sure 14" wheels don't fit on a 1.9 as the brakes are only 247mm, same as the 1.6.

DrSarty
Are you sure 14" wheels don't fit on a 1.9 as the brakes are only 247mm, same as the 1.6.

You may be right, however my D reg 1.9 came with those lovely TSW wheels on, and when I took them off and fitted some 14" 1.6 peppers, the calipers scraped on the inside of the wheel. So that's just from my one experience.

Baz

Some 14s fit and some don't, common knowledge and not really an issue, cured very easily.

tomcolinjones

The cost could be £200 plus to do the change (not including the wheels etc) if you used new driveshafts & second hand other bits. The work would just be a morning not withstanding awkward nuts and bolts. :)

New wheel/hub bearings too may be even more cost if needed.

Just more to consider. :)

i have 1.9 gti brakes on the front of my xs, with 14" 106 xsi alloys over them, 205 14" steelies also fit!

Baz

Old topic but even so.

Some do & some don't when regarding 1.6 14" pepperpots fitting over 1.9 brakes, generally the Speedline variants do, but just luck of the draw it seems.

Edited by Baz

welshpug

Also depends how thick the bell of the disc is, they do vary I have found but not greatly.

DrSarty

And as Baz said, some fit, some don't. Mine didn't.

In fact, the wheels I tried to fit may have been from my Citroen BX 16v, and they scraped against the 1.9 calipers.

It would seem that 1.6 wheels do in general fit over 1.9 brakes; but at least you know there's a risk that they won't.

In short, 1.6 driveshafts and brakes fit a 1.9 engine/box combination (because really the engine has nothing to do with it) then its only a matter of wheel choice.

You can get away with not upgrading the driveshafts, hubs and brakes when you change from 1.6 to a 1.9.

But....I would still pause and consider why 1.9s have different shafts, which warrant the need for the different hubs in the first place. If you have the money and time, then I would consider doing it all, but the cash outlay could be anywhere from an extra £100 to £300+.

Edited by DrSarty

jackherer

I think BX ones must vary too then as I have fitted 8V and 16V BX alloys to 205 1.9s with no problems.

matt.f

Mine has 1.6 hubs and shafts and 1.9 calipers(1.6 discs).GTX/STDT wheels fit ok and they are 14".Brakes are good with uprated fluid and pads and even better with a bias valve.

Maybe Peugeot made them bigger on 1.9 to cope with forest rallying(just a thought)

Sign in to follow this