• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RossD

Be Gearbox Casing

RossD

Quite a simple question here. Lets say I had a gearbox with a broken main case and another spare box lying around with a broken bellhousing section. Is it possible to make 1 box out of the 2 bad cases? Only reason I ask is I suspect the casings are a matched pair (i.e line bored at the factory) and this may not be possible. Does anybody know otherwise - Any reason why it wouldn't be possible?

Cheers

Ross

Edited by RossD

jplautomotive
Quite a simple question here. Lets say I had a gearbox with a broken main case and another spare box lying around with a broken bellhousing section. Is it possible to make 1 box out of the 2 bad cases? Only reason I ask is I suspect the casings are a matched pair (i.e line bored at the factory) and this may not be possible. Does anybody know otherwise - Any reason why it wouldn't be possible?

Cheers

Ross

yeah no reason why not , i have fitted new cases before when i was in the dealer , and only fitted one part

Miles

You can swap casing's no problems at all, Just need to re-shim the input shaft.

RossD

Ah ha, cheers, I may give it a go then. Reason I ask is I've picked up a *very* cheap BE4 box that fits a TU engine, but the mount has snapped off. Given that I think that most BE4 cases are the same and its just the bellhousing section that differs from engine to engine, I'll go and pick up another BE4 box, use the TU bellhousing part of the case on the new box. Jobs a goodun!

Cheers

Ross

welshpug

awesome! I have a similar problem, a 306 gti6 box with a BE4 stamped main casing, the mounting stud has snapped off in a side impact, rest of the box is low mileage :D

shame the gti6 box is a bit long for a 106/205 eh :wacko:

TU.BE 4/6? hmmm :rolleyes:

RossD
TU.BE 4/6? hmmm :rolleyes:

Now you're just giving me ideas.....

Sandy

They are line bored as said and for that reason, I'm not keen TBH.

RossD

Yes, I did have a look at my box last night after reading these replies and all the seperate cases have dowels which locate them in the correct position, which to me does suggest they are line broed and a matched set. Bugger.

Luckily, I think I might get away with the case with the broken mount, as there is still a good amount of thread left on the box.

Ah well, you live and learn.

Funny though that you can buy the MA cases seperatly and also the ML gearboxes seem to have seperate part numbers for each case section, only the BE has one part number for all 3 case sections.

Edited by RossD