• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Rear Brake Compensators

Rupertfinch

Getting a bit fed up of always being told that my rear compensators are a bit rubbish by the MOT nazis. So am going to replace them.

Are there any differences between those fitted to an ABS equipped car and those on a standard 1.9? The car no longer has ABS so it's not an issue regarding sourcing ABS specific parts.

Secondly, anyone know of any sources? (only autofive has revealed any so far). I had toyed with the notion of those bias valves which go inside the car, but I reckon for a road car they'd be a bit of over-kill.

Any answers greatfully received.

Mark

welshpug

GSF do them for about £33 each, the ABS cars use a load compensator on the rear axle not an inline pressure limiting valve.

Edited by welshpug

Rupertfinch

Excellent Welshpug. Now for me to expose my ignorance further.

Would replacing the load valve (is this a fancy wee bugger on a spring) with a compensator be a direct swap, or will it require some degree of replumbing?

welshpug

It'll require a fair amount of re-plumbing I'm afraid, as both front-rear lines go to it, and hence both lines go from the load compensator to each trailing arm, nothing too drastic, just an afternoon with a brake flaring kit some brake unions and a roll of shiny pipe :rolleyes:

CosKev

I've got a pair of working MOT pass compensators here open to offers if you need some :)

Rupertfinch

Thanks for the offer buddy. But at the moment I'm of the mindset of adding new parts if I'm going to go to the trouble of repiping.

Rupertfinch

In a moment of madness. Is there one or two load compensators on ABS cars?

CosKev

One I would guess from this reply :)

It'll require a fair amount of re-plumbing I'm afraid, as both front-rear lines go to it, and hence both lines go from the load compensator to each trailing arm, nothing too drastic, just an afternoon with a brake flaring kit some brake unions and a roll of shiny pipe :)

welshpug

yup, its a single unit on the right hand side of the beam bracket, never seen one on a 205 but I'd imagine it to look pretty similar to a zx/xsara/306 unit.

Rupertfinch

As always folks I am indebted to you for your advice. I shall photograph the bugger and add to the collective knowledge.

Now I'm tempted to go and price a replacement from Pug.

Watch this space... although frankly you'd be better off doing something more constructive!

ade 4wd

There are 2 rear brake compensators on an ABS 205. One on each side of the beam.

Ade,

welshpug

ahh that makes re-plumbing a little easier then, IF the unions want to come free...

Paul_13

I had two on my abs 205

Rupertfinch

2 compensators - praise the Lord. Had a great little day out at my local Pug dealer, which has probably the most helpful parts man you could ever find! No joy on ABS compensators, but a bit of personal time spent looking at dealer 205 documentation was offered. I'd love to know if their manuals have more info that Haynes. Hopefully I'll soon find out.

supersub14

I see pugspares.co.uk do them but they are £45 each! Need a new set myself. Any one recommend anywhere else?

welshpug
I see pugspares.co.uk do them but they are £45 each! Need a new set myself. Any one recommend anywhere else?

what 1.9 non-abs ones? crumbs, GSF do them for £28!

Paul_13

I have one 1.9 compensator spare if you need it. Pretty sure it works if not ill refund.

supersub14

Just found the GSF ones:

T65383 BRAKE PRESSURE REGULATOR 205 1.9GTi

£33.60 - unless im looking at the wrong part?

Edited by supersub14

welshpug

that's them, I got trade price then... ;)

Edited by welshpug

supersub14
I have one 1.9 compensator spare if you need it. Pretty sure it works if not ill refund.

cheers lad, but im gonna replace them as a pair. Knowing my luck it'd be one that works at a different pressure!

Bought a 2nd hand set off ebay (£13 for both) but one worked and the other was stuck solid and wouldn't let fluid through. Beat it with a hammer, sprayed WD40 in it, but nothing wanted to free it up.

New parts from now on ;)