• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

What's Goin Wrong? Please Help

wardy18

what is an Oil Tower?

James_R

The filler bit

wardy18

ah is that the little one that slots in the oil channel in the head, if so this was brand new when I put the engine together

Can't really dip the block as it still in the car and really don't wanna pull it out, ill have a word with my engineer guy, suppose it would be easier to build back up out of the car

wardy18

can really see the close detail but an idea on the scoring

Miles

Not that one, thats a filter for the head, The main Oil filler tower where the cap goes on with the breather's, Use old ones of these at your own risk

wardy18

Sorry Miles im still lost, im not very familiar with the bottom end, is this the big end caps?!

wardy18

oh do you mean the gauze in the oil filler?!!??!

i run a oil catch tank which also is used as a oil filler but still the oil gets pump throu the oil filter before it gets to the crank?!?! i think it may be historic damage from poor maintenance, i have no history of the block you see so have it a good clean out and service when i got it but not a re build

wardy18

juts pulled out my oil catch/filler tank as i was a bit suspect of the gauze inside breaking down, i have pulled out this gauze and going to clean throu the tank and refit it but just not bother with the gauze inside, not sure of its importance....

quite interesting thou, upon pulling off the crank breather hose and pearing down it all i could see was much much mayo, very nasty, pulled the catch tank out and a load of mayo coloured oil ran out of it all over me, was not happy!!

how is this water getting in if i found no water in the oil in the sump, is this just due to condensation from going hot cold all the time as its not a daily driver, purely a racer sat in the garage until events?!?

wardy18

i thought it would be of interest to write my final findings or the original missfire i had at the sprint causing me to dig so deep into the engine...........turned out to be those damn carbs!! one of the floats was catching the inside of the carb and sticking closed so i was running on 1 carb/2 cylinders once the fuel was used up in the other carb!!

so after all the engine diagnostics i went throu, pulling everything apart and finding nothing (apart from cream crackered bearings off course) it was carbs!!

atleast it all turned out well finding the bearings in such bad condition and so now i have a fully rebuilt block and a very strong engine as a whole now

thanx for all your help