• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
englishmaninwales

Help With Brakes!

englishmaninwales

Hi All

I need some help with my braking system! The car is a 1992 1.9 GTI that has some modifications to braking system. I replaced a rear calliper and during bleeding got air in the system by accidentally letting the MC level drop too low!! Since then the problem has been difficulty in bleeding with air persistently being bled off despite prolonged attempts at bleeding.

The systems is as follows: It appears to be split into front and rear circuits as opposed to diagonally as the Haynes manual suggests as standard.

The front circuit take offs are the two ports nearest the servo, one to each front calliper.

The rear circuit is off the front two ports and join at a tee with 2 unequal length pipes, the outlet runs down the car, enter the car in front of the rear seats to a manual balance with a bleed nipple on the outlet. (this where I have been trying to bleed first with no end of air.)

From there the rear brake pipe runs forward to a fly off handbrake cylinder, which does not seem to have a bleed nipple. (the fly off cylinder is disconnected from the handbrake lever and a standard handbrake is currently fitted). From the flyoff outlet the rear brake pipe runs to a tee with one outlet to each rear calliper.

The standard compensators are removed. Standard callipers/discs fitted

My questions are:

Is the accidental ingestion of air into the MC the cause and I just need to keep bleeding(but now used loads of fluid)?

Is it likely the cause of the difficulty is because the MC seals are worn?

Is this non standard setup exacerabating the bleeding difficulty?

It is possible that an uprated MC is already fitted, how would I recognise one?(in case I need to replace the seals)

Sorry this is a bit long winded, but Im not terribly familiar with the Pug 205gti

Thanks.