• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
englishmaninwales

Sheared Off Brake Bled Nipple

englishmaninwales

Nasty little bleed nipple sheared off on the rear caliper (steel + aluminium + brake fluid = corrosion :) ). Any suggestions? New caliper?

Cloverleaf

You could drill it out as much as possible and then try an easy out.

Or as I did with my last one drill it out a bit then hammer some bar in.

tri_longer

Did the same on my front one, had to get a replacement caliper in the end.

Masekwm

For the cost of a replacement caliper, I'd not mess about and just change it

Tom Fenton

It depends how handy you are, and what the rest of the caliper is like. I've drilled and tapped them out to 8mm a few times, I've drilled and extracted the remains of the old nipples a few times, and once or twice I've failed altogether and scrapped the caliper in question.

englishmaninwales

Yep, £66+theft on exchange for a refurbished caliper from CES factors, and they accepted the old one with the sheared off nipple.

Guest brianauto205
Yep, £66+theft on exchange for a refurbished caliper from CES factors, and they accepted the old one with the sheared off nipple.

Tom is right. The makers will use an "easy out", with heat, to get the old bits out. However, I have sheared off both of the nipples on my front calipers and used the flexible hoses to bleed them. The object is to get air out of the system so if you just back the flexible connection off about half a turn, at the caliper union, you should be able to squeese fluid thro'. You need a baking tin under the caliper and it makes a mess but it does work. Keep fluid off the disks and pads.

This isn't the best solution but my two pennies worth.

Regards

Brian