• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vickiw106

Best Trailing Arm For A 205 Rally Car

vickiw106

I am looking to convert my drummed rear beam to discs, then I thought about swapping the trailing arms to improve the handling at the same time.

I have looked at different topics on here and now my brain is hurting (not much up there)

I have found the following topic that gives the toe in and negative camber for different set-ups

trailing arm options

in peoples opinion what the best option

also in the link the negative camber says its measured in degrees/minutes. I am probably being totally stupid but the minutes things confused me can someone explain that to me

looking forward to your reply's

thanks

Tom Fenton

Depends on what you use the car for and how you drive. If its a gravel car I'd aim for as little toe in as possible, this will help the turn in on the loose. For a tarmac car I'd go for some toe in and some negative camber.

Minutes are a division of degrees, there are 60 minutes in one degree.

vickiw106
Depends on what you use the car for and how you drive. If its a gravel car I'd aim for as little toe in as possible, this will help the turn in on the loose. For a tarmac car I'd go for some toe in and some negative camber.

Minutes are a division of degrees, there are 60 minutes in one degree.

Thanks for your reply at the moment I will be using the car for single venues

So it varies from tarmac to a bit of gravel

Out of interest why would I want no toe in on gravel?

If you increase the toe in how and why will effect the front end?

Sorry for all the questions

Cameron

In a nutshell, toe-in gives better straight line stability but numbs the turn in. There's no right or wrong setting, but you'll find (on track) drivers will be marginally quicker with toe-out than with toe-in.

If you want to know exactly what is going on, picture what the wheels are doing as you turn in. With toe-in on the rear, the outside rear wheel will be countering your steering efforts as it is pulling the rear of the car inwards (trying to straighten the car) and you will find the car has a tendency to understeer and will require more steering input. With toe-out, the outside rear wheel will be pulling the rear of the car outwards (turning more) so you won't require as much steering input. That makes the car feel much more responsive turning in, and is why most drivers will be quicker. You'll also find that the car will have a tendency to oversteer, or at least less of a tendency to understeer.

Edited by Cameron

Tom Fenton

What he said, toe out on a tarmac car does make the rear very nervous, some drivers like it others do not.