• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mark205

1.9 Using 1.6 Parts

Mark205

Right, ive been thinking about building a 1.9 engine using a few 1.6 parts.

I have a 1.6 block to start with.

What parts off the 1.6 can i use to build the 1.9 bottem end as i already have the head for it.

I want to do this as buying a 1.9 isn't that interesting, plus i want a little hobby to keep me entertained for a while.

Cheers

Mark

richsmells

I'm doing the same, although very slowly as my engine's at my parents house. You can use the liners and crank if they're any good. Rods and pistons are different.

Anthony
You can use the liners and crank if they're any good. Rods and pistons are different.

The crank is the part that determines the stroke of the engine, and hence 1.6 and 1.9 cranks are different.

Strictly speaking, you could get away with just swapping the crank and rods over, although the resulting compression using 1.6 pistons would be too high for an otherwise standard engine. 1.9 crank, rods, and pistons is all that you'd need to swap to make a running 1905cc engine - 1.6 management/injectors are fine, 1.6 flywheel is preferable, although you'd probably ideally want a 1.9 dizzy for a more suited advance curve.

Mark205

It did make me wonder when rich said that the crank can be kept of the 1.6, as how else does it have a longer stroke.

I read earlier, (not on here), that the mi head can be put onto an 8 valve block but the oil and water ways don't line up.

Is this true, i know to run the mi head i would need the mi pistons.

Edited by Mark205

richsmells

Balls. Sorry. I thought is was only the rods that were different and determined the stroke. Apologies.

I have a 1.9 and 1.6 both in bits.

Mark205

I'm now after a 1.9 crank, who fancies swapping one for a 1.6 crank :)

pug_ham
I read earlier, (not on here), that the mi head can be put onto an 8 valve block but the oil and water ways don't line up.

Is this true, i know to run the mi head i would need the mi pistons.

Thats rubbish, all the alloy the XU engine use the same head gasket & have the samer basic block design so the oil & water ways line up fine.

The 8v blocks don't always have the cambelt tensioner eccentric roller bolt threads but apparently the later 8v ones have. (blocks that have the eccentric roller as standard, not the spring type tensioner).

You'd need Mi rods & pistons to do this easily but 1.9 8v rods can be used with some machining on the Mi pistons (see nicks Mi topic).

Graham.

Anthony
The 8v blocks don't always have the cambelt tensioner eccentric roller bolt threads but apparently the later 8v ones have. (blocks that have the eccentric roller as standard, not the spring type tensioner).

Atleast some of the later 8v blocks with the spring-tensioner have the threaded hole for the second Mi tensioner as well, as I stripped one a couple of months back that came out of a 309 Goodwood (so approximately late-1991 vintage)

richsmells

Do these "later" 8v blocks with second tensioner hole have the extra webbing like the Mi?

welshpug

you can use just the 1.9 crank and conrods with the 1.6 pistons for a nice bump in compression, but changing the pistons over isnt generally a DIY job as they are a press fit.

Miles

No the blocks are quite different while being similar,

ORB
I'm now after a 1.9 crank, who fancies swapping one for a 1.6 crank

Bloody Hell!!

I just lobbed in the skip:

- 1.9 crank

- 1.9 pistons

- 1.9 rods

- 1.9 Complete head

- Inlet and Exhaust Manifolds.

All perfect condition taken from a 45000 mile engine!

I only binned them as I thought no one local would want them! (I run an MI16 so no good to me)

I have a few bits left over though. Let me know if you need anything, I am only in Carlisle.

kennygti
Bloody Hell!!

I just lobbed in the skip:

- 1.9 crank

- 1.9 pistons

- 1.9 rods

- 1.9 Complete head

- Inlet and Exhaust Manifolds.

All perfect condition taken from a 45000 mile engine!

I only binned them as I thought no one local would want them! (I run an MI16 so no good to me)

I have a few bits left over though. Let me know if you need anything, I am only in Carlisle.

Whet else you got mate?

Sign in to follow this