• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
S@m

Xs Hot Starting Problems!

S@m

Hey there Guys! I'm writing this topic for a friend who has just acquired a rather nice 205 XS which all seems in good order, apart from it often refuses to start after its been warmed up, needing to be cranked for some considerable time if its to start at all. Sadly i have little experience when it comes to TU's and especially carbs (i'm used to dealing with my ever problematic Mi). I tried a search about this and could find little, its probably something ridiculously obvious if you have experience in non injection systems, but sadly i havent a clue. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Cheers!

Sam

Anthony

"They all do that Sir"

You'll need to start it with your foot on the throttle, and even then will crank over for a few moments longer than usual before firing into life.

j_turnell

I never had any issues with hot starting on my old xs, sounds like something is getting to hot to me, not sure if they have an ignition amp, cant remember, but i'd have a look at the ignition side of things.

Mark205

My xs did this, i decided to convert to a gti engine before i could be bothered to sort it out.

You can do two things that will help:

1) Fit an electric fuel pump, (facet probably the best), as they normally run off a mechanical pump which only pumps when the engine is cranking.

2) Fit one of those thick rubber gaskets inbetween the cylinder head and manifold as this stops heat transfer back to the carbs which is likely the problem in

the first place.

I think that the problem is heat transfer if the engine is getting to hot evaporates some of the fuel in the carb, when left it takes the cranking of the engine to work the pump to re-fill the carbs with fuel.

Mine always used to get too hot and i had that problem.

Fit an leccy pump is your best bet.

Guest rmilbank

I have this dam problem also!! Are the gaskets still avaliable on the forum for the inlet manifold?

Im after one of these - please contact me if anyone has them!!

Cheers

Rich

one-lady-owner

Mine was a bit of a pig to start warm, if there is even a slight whiff of warm in the engine, choke fully in, foot to the floor and crank it till it catches, then use the choke to get a good idle, I just got used to having to do it when I was using my xs every day, just something you get used to! Although if you read the peugeot manual it does say the correct method of starting a warm carb'd tu is foot to the floor!

S@m

Cheers for the suggestions guys, i thought it was something to do with the carb getting too hot, but perhaps its just a characteristic of the XS. I'll relay the information.

Sam

Mark205

I was a few miles away from home once, and i pulled up, and the car started to splutter, so i set off again and it was fine.

On the duel carrigeway home i was doing "some" mph and the car seemed as if it was running out of fuel as i lost power in 5th and it wouldn't rev much past 3,000 rpm in 4th.

The next thing i know the temp gauge is on seriously hot, so because im motoring, i dropped into third a floored it to get more air in to the bay, i don't know wether this works all the time but it did for me.

The temp dropped to half and i got all the power back.

When i had to stop, the temp started to rise, again i lost most of the power until i floored it and the temp dropped again and the power came back.

I found out that i had an air lock in the cooling system the next day, but the manifold is water cooled so i must have lost water to it or the water wasn't doing its job and the fuel must have started to boil before it reached the engine, hence the loss of power.

Don't know if this is relivant anymore, but i thought i'd share it with everyone.

AdamP

I believe the manifold is actually water warmed! I'm pretty sure the supply is there to reduce carb icing on cold days, not to keep the manifold cool.

Mark205

Not sure on that one, it has an effect both ways if the manifold gets hotter than the water running through it, the water will act as coolant, whereas if the manifold is cooler than the water running through it will warm it.

I know that as soon as the temperature went down the power came back and i still belive that the manifold was getting to hot and causing lack of fuel to the engine.

AdamP
Not sure on that one, it has an effect both ways if the manifold gets hotter than the water running through it, the water will act as coolant, whereas if the manifold is cooler than the water running through it will warm it.

I know that as soon as the temperature went down the power came back and i still belive that the manifold was getting to hot and causing lack of fuel to the engine.

That could be what was happening, but if it's the case I think it's more likely that the hot coolant was actually causing the inlet manifold to get hot. There's enough air flowing through the manifold to keep it nice and cool, it's unlikely to get hot enough that it needs 'cooling'.

If that makes sense! :)

stu_woac

the problem is where the top of the carb bolts to the bottom of the carb with 4 torx bolts when hot this if not tight anymore or the paper gasket has it will let extra air in to carb messing up fuel flow try just tighting up the bolts first should work