• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Electric Window Motors

dch1950

Hi all,

spring is here and my postphoned work on my windows has finally re-started. The wiring of the switches was not good (a bodge) and when I made up a direct connect lead neither motor would run (either way). Bugger!

This leads me , enevitably, to having to strip out each side and have a look.

My question is - are the motors available seperately? and secondly are they sealed units? i.e are they repairable by a normal joe (brushes? for instance). Pugspares advertises a motor (but uses the the lifter part no.) for £30.

whereas AEP(glasgow) advertise the whole unit for £58 but seem unable to tell me if it will fit my car - a little odd as they say contact us to see if this is the correct unit(!). All else failing do any of the track boys have a pair they don't want.

thanx

Dave

PS don't even think about going to PUG (£170- !"£$%^)

Goliath

I have a pair of window motors you can have for £30 delivered :( PM if you want them.

j_turnell

If i was you i'd replace the loom, just do a wanted post, common enough. Have you tried a different relay as this could also be an issue. If they still dont work, just take them out, just a load of 10mm nuts and a torx i think then just slide them out the door. Then get some 2nd hand ones off here for a few quid, wouldnt bother getting new ones, not worth the expense imo.

dch1950
If i was you i'd replace the loom, just do a wanted post, common enough. Have you tried a different relay as this could also be an issue. If they still dont work, just take them out, just a load of 10mm nuts and a torx i think then just slide them out the door. Then get some 2nd hand ones off here for a few quid, wouldnt bother getting new ones, not worth the expense imo.

Hi,

I agree about buying new. Sometimes pug originals are sky high and GSF do one for a tenner!. That's all I was trying to get a handle on. As I said my wiring is a right boge (all tape and connector blocks). I have read (on here) that the loom comes in several different variants (remote locking version/ door plugs etc). I only have the 2 rubber tubes so which would I need.

regards

Dave

j_turnell

What year is your car? ive only seen two versions, although there may be others. The first as you describe which gives CL and leccy windows used on cars up to 91' without the big multiplug at the door, and the later models that have the mulitplug, i think the only possible variance is in the plug for the master solinoid in the drivers door but personally not come accross any problems....

cheers, James

dch1950
What year is your car? ive only seen two versions, although there may be others. The first as you describe which gives CL and leccy windows used on cars up to 91' without the big multiplug at the door, and the later models that have the mulitplug, i think the only possible variance is in the plug for the master solenoid in the drivers door but personally not come accross any problems....

cheers, James

Hi James,

mines a 91 (Feb registered) Phase 2 with CL and windows no door plug. I have looked at the actual wiring (as opposed to what's in my pug at the moment) and there actually doesn't seem to be a lot going on. 2 +12v feeds (1 per side), 1 dual core Xover cable, and an earth main lead from the driver side switches. Is it actually worth a loom? - unless there cheap as chips.

Dave

j_turnell

Up to you mate like you say easy enough to make up but im sure someone will have a loom forsale for only a few quid, have a look in the forsale section. Least that was its an easy plug and play.

cheers, James