• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pugilist

14" Gti Alloys On A 1.9?

Guest Pugilist

Sorry if this is an old question but can't find any thread that answers the above (doubt if many people want to downgrade their car though, so maybe not :)!).

I have limited funds right now and my the tyres on my OE 15" wheels are starting to look like slicks. If I can get a set of 14" pepperpots would they fit on my 1.9 GTi. I'm not sure if the 14" wheels have the same offset as they would have been designed to go on drums at the rear of a 1.6? I guess the gearing would change too - bit of extra acceleration, less top end?

Thanks for any advice.

boombang

If they are Speedlines, they might fit - is tight though.

Other castings of 1.6 gti alloy don't fit unless you grind off the edge of the caliper.

Miles

This is always a odd one, I;ve fitted SMR and Speedline's to 1.9's without problems

rear is fine, i always found that smr`s will catch on the front but not speedlines

?

boombang

Strange that people come up with different answers to this, can only assume (and is likely!) that there is more than one casting for 1.9 calipers.

I have 4 types of 1.6 alloy here and found only the Speedlines fit. The two types of SMR don't, and neither does the other wheel who's brand I don't recognise.

Have now ground back the calipers so all clear nicely. Don't have to take much off either.

welshpug

might depend if people have tried them with worn discs and pads if its the caliper and not the carrier that causes the issues, I've also seen discs where the mounting bell is thinner than the original discs.

Guest Pugilist

Thanks for all of the replies - seems like it might be best to avoid them. I understand that Saxo VTR might be a better bet so might look out for some of them (at the risk of 'chavving' my 205!). Anyone know/have any photos?

Cheers.