• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dino20vt

Rear Beam Pictures

dino20vt
post-12218-1239047014_thumb.jpgpost-12218-1239047162_thumb.jpgpost-12218-1239046894_thumb.jpg

post-12218-1239047282_thumb.jpg

dino20vt

post-12218-1239047668_thumb.jpgpost-12218-1239047689_thumb.jpg

Im guessing the outer bearings have had it, dont think the inners have.

What can I do about the shafts?

Anthony

Both shafts are past it and need replacing I'm afraid, although it looks like the tube should be fine with some new bearings/seals :)

dino20vt
Both shafts are past it and need replacing I'm afraid, although it looks like the tube should be fine with some new bearings/seals :)

Got any?! :)

Rom

The bearings arent much. Not worth replacing only the outer.

Ill have a look tommorrow if i remember, not sure what the shafts out of my donor base model beam were like.

Edited by Rom

dino20vt
The bearings arent much. Not worth replacing only the outer.

Ill have a look tommorrow if i remember, not sure what the shafts out of my donor base model beam were like.

That'd be great, im guessing they're the same, this is a 309 base model by the way.

SurGie

Looking good Dean, i had mine rebuilt with ZX arms and just needs me to paint and fit together etc, i was told that

the section where the shaft fit in was worn out and needed to be skimmed.

Has anyone who builds beams known of this problem?

I beleive that that section of the arms are usually good and on most beams it the shell area in beam that

seems to be the problem and are beams ok to be shelled as well in the arms?

dino20vt

Think i'll paint mine, any recommendations?

Anthony
Looking good Dean, i had mine rebuilt with ZX arms and just needs me to paint and fit together etc, i was told that

the section where the shaft fit in was worn out and needed to be skimmed.

Has anyone who builds beams known of this problem?

I beleive that that section of the arms are usually good and on most beams it the shell area in beam that

seems to be the problem and are beams ok to be shelled as well in the arms?

I'm slightly struggling to work out what you mean - are you saying that there's issues with the arms themselves where the shafts press in?

SurGie

Yes and no, I had my beam rebuilt a while ago and was told that it will cost more as the arms where the

shafts go in was trashed, i was told it will cost more to sort out. I sort of find it hard to beleive this can happen.

As seen on here it is the bearing that are knackered with the bearing sleeve also inside the beam.

As you build alot of beam's you would know if this "can" be the case, the shafts are pressured inside the arms

with alot of force which makes me think how can this bit of the arms be trashed? I just feel like iv been had a bit!

Next time i will get one from you, replace my 205 1.9 beam that is going into my 1.4 GT, if it'l fit as its a ph 1 GT,

iv got a 309 beam, with ZX arms for my GTI, which is what im on about...

SurGie
:)

Anthony

The only time that I've ever personally seen issues with a trailing arm where the shaft is pressed in is on an arm where the shaft had been replaced and not pressed in anywhere near far enough, which over time distorted/worn the casting and allowed a degree of play. I have seen several ex-rally beams where the shaft has been spot welded into the trailing arm, so whether under extreme conditions it is possibly to have problems (and that is a fix) I don't know.

The only other thing I could see causing it is if you managed to really mess up pressing the shafts, but certainly normally you need significant pressure to press the old shafts out - approximately 6 tons to get it moving, and around 1-2 tons to keep it moving in my experience.

Does that answer your question?

SurGie

Yeh it does thanks, i thought as much, iv been had by hi flow heads then. :)

Always had a feeling something wasn't quite right, i was told that they had to resleeve the arms

so it as good as brand new, is this possible to do in your expeiance?

I wont go to hi flow again, so glad i didnt get an engine from them tuh :D

Cheers