• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo

Alternator Charging But No Initial Ignition Light

Ricardo

I know this must have been covered a thousand times yet I cannot find anything to help with what I'm finding :D

Sorry to go on but this is the only thing now not working and I can't get my head round it...

The bulb is OK - checked

The connections I've redone so OK - checked

Continuity from alternator to bulb - checked OK

When alternator excitor wire earthed and ig on no light!

Alternator only charges at tickover once 3K revs reached so I'm presuming the excitor circuit isn't working.(relying on the 3K kick)

Is this correct?.....If working the voltage comes from the +V feed into clocks etc when ignition first turned on. -> through the bulb -> wire 7A to alternator excitor. (the bulb should light). Then once engine starts and Alternator starts charging at tickover +V now sent from alternator excitor -> cable 7A back to bulb creating no PD across bulb so it doesn't light. (proving no charge problem)

So if cables OK, bulb OK, why no lit bulb when excitor cable 7A earthed and ignition on? Because there's no live feed from clock feed?

If I start the car and leave idling (not to go over 3K) and check not charging, would a quick temp connection direct from battery + to alternator excitor spade then make it charge at tickover?

Please no shouting!!!! Thanks for your patience :lol:

Rich