• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick

Bit Of A Strange Problem...

nick

My brakes have always been ok, but they have never been quite as good as the ones on my old 1.9. They seem to lack bite, but have power if you stamp on them hard. They have new pads in (same lack of bite no matter which pads I've used), and have had the fluid changed within the last 6 months.

I have now noticed that at a standstill, if you really press the pedal hard (...and I mean try to push the pedal through the bulkhead..) the first few stops after that the bite is back, but then returns to normal after that... lacking bite.

Does anyone elses do this? I might try and bleed them again, but to be honest they don't feel "spongy" last resort is new m/c but I can sit with me foot hard on the pedal and it doesn't sink at all, so I'm doubtful that it's that.

Nick

andychalmers

The pads could glaze over?

Some of my rally friends swear by taking out the pads between rallies, then rubbing them on wet n dry to take the shine off them & re-fit. They run standard 1.9 brakes with mintex 1155 pads.

hengti

i've noticed this in every car i've run long-term, and wonder if it's air related. pad temperature must play a part as well - there's just constant variation in the feel of brakes, depending upon all sorts of things - mine have always seemed sharpest immediately after setting out on cold mornings; also always feel sharper after an MoT test - probably as they get a little workout on the rollers. none of this helps - probably just adding confusion, but also interested in opinions on this one

nick

Thanks for the replies. Definitely not glazed, been out a few times and always scrub them up and they always feel the same. Tried putting plenty of heat in to them as well, which again doesn't make any difference. I'm convinced it's air in them now, I couldn't find my Eezibleed so I went old school and bled them manually and I'm sure thats the problem.

Nick