• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Removing Sunroof (and Keeping It Presentable)

djinuk

I plan to remove my electic sunroof from my 205, However i want to keep it looking presentable.

My plan is to make a every thin peice of Carbon Fibre and bond this over the sunroof main hole, covering the edge where it originally bolted down. As for the holes left by the runner i am going to see if my welder is able to plug weld then up carefully with very little heat.

Here are photos of my sunroof should anybody have any other ideas. Also the parts of the sunroof will be up for sale very cheap as the runners are knackered but the rest of it seems ok.

03112007517.jpg

03112007518.jpg

03112007519.jpg

Edited by djinuk

Goliath

I think it would look ok with carbon fibre but might look a bit odd depending on what other mods you have on your car, You will find it hard to make a neat job of welding up and holes left by the runners.

I might have the electric setup off you if its all intact and working.

djinuk

car is track prepped so should pull of the whole carbonfibre look ok i think.

as for the sunroof, its all there and working in terms of the motor etc ,(not sure if the pinion gear was taken off to try to find replacement) however the runners have rotted away so therefore its not opperational. Switch etc is all there though.

EdCherry

sounds like an ok idea, have you thought of only taking the motor out and the glass and putting a sheet of carbon fibre in to replace it, would almost look like it had always been there if you did a nice and neat job!

djinuk
sounds like an ok idea, have you thought of only taking the motor out and the glass and putting a sheet of carbon fibre in to replace it, would almost look like it had always been there if you did a nice and neat job!

yea i did think about adopting this approach and i still may, only thing is looking from behind the deflector on the front, there is a very large gap to accommodate the thickness of the sunroof, where as with a plate its only going to be 2mm or so, so thinking it my be a bit troublesome with crap getting down it, but like you say i think that could work. Only thing is it would be nice to remvoe that big black deflector as its a bit ugly :wacko: