• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dimma cakey

[car_overhaul] Dimma 205 Restoration And Turbo Project

Guest dimma cakey

HAy everyone and thanks for taking the time to view my project, as always your comments are more than welcome good and bad, and especially any tips and help people can offer, also if any1 has a 205 gti that they want rid off cheap for me to use as a donor car 1.6 or 1.9 or engineless it dusnt really matter,

Right on with the project,

This is my 205 dimma, i purchased her on my birthday the 5th of october 2007 as i felt like treating myself to a a new project,

i bought her from a small garage in melton called m.a.r.c cars where they have had it stored since early 2001

its missing an engine, front seats and veriouse other things, but on the good side the basics are they it has spax adjustable dampers and 40mm drop springs on the front, and again spax adjustable dampers on the rear and im guessing the torsion bars have been lowered but unsure by how much.

also has a set of BBS split rims that are unkerbed and the lacquer on the dish hasnt lifted, and the actual dimma kit has been fitted very well

plans are to get it back to its former glory, involving a full bareshell respray in cosworth imperial blue and subframe, rear beam, wishbones, antiroll bars and suspension components to be powdercoated some sort off fluro green or yellow and nut n bolt rebuild with as many new parts as i can find and afford.

Engine wise was a hard desision i pondered for a long time over 8 or 16v, bike carbs or throttle bodies, n/a or forced induction,

then up popped a 406 sri engine on the flebay with 76k on the clock and a reconditioned turbo 2k ago for £125 with loom and ecu, flywheel and clutch,

so 3 hours traveling and £125 later i was the proud owner of an xu10j2te engine and an oiliy citroen xantia estate (dad wasnt impressed)

plans with the engine so are for a full rebuild including all gaskets and belts big n little end shells and new rings, a custome made inlet manifold and if i can afford it a stainless steel manifold to accept a gt28rs,

management wise am going to go down the megasquirt route unless funds permit an omex 600,

set of custom profiled cams, a decomp plate to lower compresion to around the 7.1;1 region and hopefully run 29psi on 98+ and 19psi on normal,

then would like a 50bhp shot of nitrous, mainly just for show and the odd time at pod,

hopeing for around the 225bhp mark without the laughing gas, do peaple think this is a realistic figure for the mods i plan

eventually am going to upgrade to some wiseco forged lo comp pistons but again not untill funds permit,

right onward with the pics

just picked up

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Back at home waiting for some love

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Today after i finally had the time to get it in hte workshop n make a start

101_1020.jpg

101_1021.jpg

101_1022.jpg

After a good hour of rubbish clearing and hoovering

101_1023.jpg

Guest dimma cakey

The turbo head

101_1034.jpg

The block

101_1036.jpg

The turbo

101_1037.jpg

And the intercooler i intend to fit

101_1039.jpg

sorry for so many pics but i like to document things well,

again please all your comments are welcome and opinions,

and ill keep updating every week or so

thanks

Atari Boy

Nice project, I look forward to seeing how you progress.

Keep us updated.

marksorrento205

This is going to be a fun project. Im looking forward to it :wacko:

Richie

Look forward to seeing how this turns out!

Ludi

Look's like you have a lot to do,so go on and make some nice Dimma from that Pug.

;):wacko:

mark rushton

is that miami blue or is it the same as mine curaccoa blue , looks a pretty good match . good luck with the build. :)

DSCF4158.jpg

Guest dimma cakey
is that miami blue or is it the same as mine curaccoa blue , looks a pretty good match . good luck with the build. :D

DSCF4158.jpg

it could quite possibly be. i dont have a clue what the paint code is though im afraid, but they do look very similar,

i was going to do it the same blue but there cant be 2 dimma 205 turbo's going round the same colour,

Guest dimma cakey

hay all,

Right spent the last couple of days in the workshop stripping the car, i have most of the interior and windows out bar the rear,

and started preping the bodywork ready for painting, cant believe how many high spots there are once you start sanding down,

oh if any1 has a couple of doors going spare and cheap then ill snap them off of you, aslong as there undented and no rust or atleast not to much,

bought myself a rotary sander/buffer form halford today, best £27 iv ever spent,

right onwards with the pics,

100_1043.jpg

100_1045.jpg

100_1048.jpg

100_1050.jpg

100_1051.jpg

100_1052.jpg

100_1053.jpg

Guest dimma cakey

Right not much progress has been made recently,

have been sidetracked slightly as a freind bought me his motorbike down to me in bits to build up,

there should be some more progress this week as ive ordered my headgasket set with all the top end gaskets, head bolts and cambelt kit, should get that on tuesday,

going to get some pictures of the bike today and ill poste them up for peaple to c, its a 1981 kawasaki x400j but made in to a chopper looks pretty cool, but slightly loud, has 4 straight pipes from the head,

but car wise still trying to get all the bits i need like engine mounts, 406 sri downpipe and an interior, although a doner car would b good as i need a gearbox n doors aswell.

danpug

You won't need anywhere near the compression you mentioned, its far too low, it'll be horrible to drive off boost. You'll easily get more power than you want on standard compression.

jonnyturbo

get some updates in :)

also your inbox is full delete some messages.

Guest dimma cakey

right managed a couple of days on it this week so a bit more has been done,

engine is now built back up, just waiting for a manifold to turbo gasket and the cambelt, and i decided to stick with the standard compression,

so started some more on the car itself, removed the rear beam which the passenger side is seized and the adjusters on the shocks are seized to, 1 set to firm 1 set to soft, so there being bined aswell,

removed front subframe and striped everything off, found out that the front shocks are pretty much f*cked aswell,

and same for the wishbones,

and whoever removed the engine made an absolute mess of the power steering pipework so thats annoying!

going to go down today and get the subframe all cleaned up as it covered in cv grease then send it off to be blasted and enameled, not sure on colour yet, i was thinking about this colour

kawasaki_green.jpg

for the subframe, wishbones, rear beam and anything else underneath thats metal and removable

id very much like your opinions on that,

bales
so 3 hours traveling and £125 later i was the proud owner of an xu10j2te engine and an oiliy citroen xantia estate (dad wasnt impressed)

plans with the engine so are for a full rebuild including all gaskets and belts big n little end shells and new rings, a custome made inlet manifold and if i can afford it a stainless steel manifold to accept a gt28rs,

management wise am going to go down the megasquirt route unless funds permit an omex 600,

set of custom profiled cams, a decomp plate to lower compresion to around the 7.1;1 region and hopefully run 29psi on 98+ and 19psi on normal,

then would like a 50bhp shot of nitrous, mainly just for show and the odd time at pod,

hopeing for around the 225bhp mark without the laughing gas, do peaple think this is a realistic figure for the mods i plan

eventually am going to upgrade to some wiseco forged lo comp pistons but again not untill funds permit,

You want to run 2 bar through it on a GT28RS and with 50bhp nitrous :):o

No need to lower the compression as it is already a FI engine with either 8 or 8.5:1 CR which is quite low anyway.

I think with a decent manifold turbo and ecu you would run more than 225bhp on half that boost!!

lewis205cti

Did this project get finished?