• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
humanz

Converting 1.6 Brakes To 1.9s

humanz

I tried to do a few searches, but couldn't find any really useful keywords (either returned too many threads, or none at all).

Here's my problem. I've got a 1.9 engine in the car. On one side of the car I believe I've got a 1.6 disc and hub and on the other side I've got a 1.9 hub (not sure of the disc).

Is there anyway I can look at the discs and tell whether they're 1.6 or 1.9 ones?

Is there anyway I can look at the hubs while they're on the car to tell whether they're 1.6 or 1.9 hubs, as I can't remember which side is which?

On both sides, I'm running standard 1.6 calipers with braided brake lines to the calipers. I'm looking at converting both calipers to 1.9 items, along with new 1.9 discs.

Will I need to change my braided brake lines, or should they be fine for the 1.9 calipers?

Cheers.

welshpug

the offset of a 1.6 disc is much greater than the 1.9.

you can change to 1.9 calipers on 1.6 hubs, but you need to use 1.6 discs, they are the same diameter but a different offset as mentioned, brake lines are the same.

humanz
the offset of a 1.6 disc is much greater than the 1.9.

you can change to 1.9 calipers on 1.6 hubs, but you need to use 1.6 discs, they are the same diameter but a different offset as mentioned, brake lines are the same.

I'm going to change the hubs so that they are all 1.9 hubs, so the hubs aren't really the concern. I have no idea what you mean when you say offset...is this how deep the disc is? Or the degree the caliper sits? I guess once I understand what the offset is referring to, I should be able to look at the two discs and tell which one is a 1.9 and which is a 1.6.

welshpug

offset is the distance from the wheel mounting face to the friction surface :)

if you use 1.9 hubs you'll need 1.9 discs (and 1.9 driveshafts)

pugdamo

Arnt the driveshaft splines the same?? i thought the 1.9 shafts were thicker and the 1.9 ones have a notch in them so you can tell??

humanz

So if I lay the discs on a flat surface, the 1.6 disc should look taller, or at least, the part of the disc the wheel bolts onto should look taller/thicker?

Quick replies on here. After I posted my last reply, did a search in google for 'what is brake disc offset?' and guess what was the first returned result? A topic off of this forum from 2004.

I was under the impression the driveshaft splines were different, and my mechanic has my car currently setup using a 1.9 hub, disc and driveshaft, and a 1.6 caliper on one side (the car currently has a 1.9 in it but originally had in a 1.6) while on the other side, he used a 1.6 hub and a 1.6 caliper. I don't know how he did it, I just need to know which side 1.9 hub I should be looking for (he couldn't remember which side is which off the top of his head).

Edited by humanz

Baz

1.6 hibs/shaft are smaller in diameter and different amount of splines, and use a 32mm hubnut. 1.9 hubs/shafts have a different disc/wheel offset and bigger splines and use a 35mm hubnut.

pugdamo
1.6 hibs/shaft are smaller in diameter and different amount of splines, and use a 32mm hubnut. 1.9 hubs/shafts have a different disc/wheel offset and bigger splines and use a 35mm hubnut.

Cheers for that. The car i saw with a thick shaft and a thin one maybe had a pattern shaft in it?