• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Gti6 Exhaust Manifold Thickness

Rob Turbo

How thick are the runners on a gti6 exhaust manifold and are they mild or stainless steel?

I'm going to be building a turbo manifold from one so need to know if the standard runners will be of any use or if I'll only be able to use the flange, I'm picking one up tomorrow but won't be able to cut it up until the weekend probably.

welshpug

stainless, and not particularly!

where's the turbo going to sit?

Edited by welshpug

Rob Turbo

It's going to sit above the gearbox, like the dp engineering jobbie

Rob Turbo

Picked the manifold up just now, it really isn't that thick is it!

Not sure if I'm going to use it anyway and see what happens, or chop it down to the flange and get some new pipe, not sure where to get the pipe from though, the only place local ish to me only does stainless and don't do it thick enough!

Cameron

Its most likely to be 16swg (1.6mm), but even if it is 18swg (1.2mm) that is still plenty thick enough even for turbo use.

Rob Turbo
Its most likely to be 16swg (1.6mm), but even if it is 18swg (1.2mm) that is still plenty thick enough even for turbo use.

Really? I was under the impression it needed to be fairly thick to cope with the extra heat, I've gone and ordered some 2.5mm thick bends now so might as well use it :D

Thanks anyway, I'll bear it in mind for next time.

Cameron

Jesus!! :D

No it doesn't really have to be any thicker unless you're running serious power! The thickest material we use at BTB is 1.6mm and we've never had any problems with primaries melting. :D

An example for you, Radical primaries (Hayabusa turbo) are 1.2mm stainless.

Edited by Cameron

Sign in to follow this