• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Sunroof And Non Sunroof Shells

Rob Turbo

I'm sure this must have been covered before but I couldn't find anything in a search!

Been looking for a replacement windscreen seal and noticed they are different for sunroof/non sunroof models, what's the difference exactly? Is there any other differences other than the hole in the roof? Whilst looking for a roll cage I noticed they say for non sunroof models, will it still fit my shell? I'll be removing the sunroof and riveting an aluminium plate in it's place so if it's just for clearence on for the main hoop or whatever I should be alright shouldn't I?

Thanks,

Rob

welshpug

the roofskin is different as it has a big hole in it :mellow:

seriously though, the top edge of the windscreen seal for sunroof models has a lip to force the air over the sunroof a bit like a spoiler, it'll still fit as the windscreen and the aperture in the shell is the same.

davey sprocket

The windscreen seal on sunroof cars has a raised section at the top to act as a spoiler to deflect some air up to reduce buffetting with the roof open.

No experience with cages though, sorry!

Edit: too slow!!!

Edited by davey sprocket

Rob Turbo

But the windscreen itself has different part numbers for sunroof/non sunroof models as well as the seal.

platty

Ive fitted a screen from a sunroof gti, to a non sunroof 1.8D with no probs. other than the seal being different, I couldn't see any difference between the screens.

Baz

There isn't realistically any difference at all. :mellow:

cage-wise, sunroof ones may just fit a little lower to accept the mech etc.

Henry Yorke

The sunroof seals give you extra downforce in the centre of the car to improve the mid-corner balance. They were introduced after the success of the Pikes Peak 205 which was very focussed on aerodynamics. However if it is straightline speed you want then a non sunroof ones is what you need as there is less drag, making non sunroof 205's faster by default

1193313436_b87585837f.jpg

(sorry I just had to!!)

On a serious note, I actually wish I had fitted one of these to my CTI when changing the screen as the lip at the top reduces the wind noise significantly where the hood meets the top of the screen. I am not sure why they did not fit these as standard, considering they did on sunroof models :s

Miles

You'll find that the Liped ones have more chance of catching water and casuing rust one reason why I never use them if I can help it, Hadrly any of the non liped sealed car's I've seen suffer from rust around the screen

Henry Yorke: comedy genius :unsure:

Baz

Non sunroof shells are motorsport. Therefore are better. Fact.

EdCherry
Non sunroof shells are motorsport. Therefore are better. Fact.

I hear only gimps :unsure: buy sunroof shells... :wacko: