• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Renewal Of Brake Fluid

chocolate_o_brian

As above really. I think the brake fluid in my '88 (F) 1.9 GTi could do with renewing (probably over due anyways). I took her out today for a bit of a back road blast and afterwards noticed the braking particularly on the front to be more spongy and require more pressure. No leaks as I have had a good check, so I assume the fluid may need replacing/uprating at the same time.

My driving style is general pootling around with spirited blasts. Shes not a track car (yet).

I'm looking for recommendations as the Pug has the following spec currently...

Front - Autofive 283mm big brake conversion with Greenstuff pads.

Rear - Standard with Ferodo oe quality pads.

Black Diamond braided hoses all round.

Suggestions and advice welcome as this is the next section for me to be educated on.

Thanks

Andy :(

Tom Fenton

Personally I use a good quality DOT4 and change it regularly.

EdCherry

GSF do some of what tom says, Bendix 55+ DOT 4 for something like £4.50 for a litre.

hengti

i'd go for ATE Super Blue (ECP - £13/litre) and use an Easibleed. it's a good Dot4 fluid and is blue in colour - so, if you bleed it with an Easibleed, you'll be able to see what's going on and will minimise fluid wasteage.

PS. are the bleed screws free?

chocolate_o_brian

Bloody hell that was quick :D

So even though I have uprated brakes on the front, a DOT 4 is still recommended? I don't mind if it comes to where the brakes are on or off and no inbetween, just want to have that sense of security that the pedal won't slap to the floor and I go into a hedge. After a couple miles today the difference was noticeable thats all.

So DOT 4 it is, recommendations on brand then? Or they all the same?

i'd go for ATE Super Blue (ECP - £13/litre) and use an Easibleed. it's a good Dot4 fluid and is blue in colour - so, if you bleed it with an Easibleed, you'll be able to see what's going on and will minimise fluid wasteage.

PS. are the bleed screws free?

Whats a bleed screw and where do I buy them from?

one-lady-owner

Bleed screws referring to the bleed nipples on all 4 calipers, the ones on my old XS were seized completely solid, I ended up breaking one off! Although given you have had a big brake conversion I wouldn't have thought the bleed nipples have been still long enough to seize

chocolate_o_brian
Bleed screws referring to the bleed nipples on all 4 calipers, the ones on my old XS were seized completely solid, I ended up breaking one off! Although given you have had a big brake conversion I wouldn't have thought the bleed nipples have been still long enough to seize

Something tells me I'd best have a knowledgeable mate to help me do this or I could see bad things happening :D

So just need a good DOT 4 fluid that will take some stick. Also, how much does my system need? 2, 3 litres or something like that?

EdCherry

Think 1 litre will do the system with a little bit to spare.

Cloverleaf

I always use Castrol Super Dot4. It's about £11/litre. Any dot 4 should be fine if you don't go on track

chocolate_o_brian

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try get a litre of decent DOT 4 then.

Jrod

If you are not sure enlist a mate who does for sure, brakes are serious business as i'm sure you know! :D

chocolate_o_brian
If you are not sure enlist a mate who does for sure, brakes are serious business as i'm sure you know! :huh:

Yesh! I've had a word with a mate who's running a GTi-6 setup on his 205 track car and he recommended the Halfords DOT4 Racing fluid. Gonna get me some on his trade card too :D

Baz
Yesh! I've had a word with a mate who's running a GTi-6 setup on his 205 track car and he recommended the Halfords DOT4 Racing fluid. Gonna get me some on his trade card too :)

The Dot4 is just Dot4, their 'Racing' Stuff is Dot5.1, with a trade card about £6 a litre.

Have it in one or 2 of my cars iirc and it's pretty good. :D

Batfink

Half the racing stuff is Dot 4

I use Carbone Lorraine's as it has a good high boiling point so thats what you need to compare on the packets.

To get rid of the spongy front your issue is your choice of front pads. I've had that setup and it was rubbish.

Kev

chocolate_o_brian
Half the racing stuff is Dot 4

I use Carbone Lorraine's as it has a good high boiling point so thats what you need to compare on the packets.

To get rid of the spongy front your issue is your choice of front pads. I've had that setup and it was rubbish.

Kev

I did think this partially. As the brakes are slightly spongey all the time, and then more so after a spirited drive. If I can sort the fluid out now and then use different pads at renewal time, should make a good difference then.

May I ask what pads do you use? I presume the calipers are standard, but I would like decent pads but not OTT ones if you follow. Obviously not Greenstuff after your comments :)

Cheers

Batfink

I use Carbone Lorraine RC5 on my road car, Mintex 1144's work very well as a fast road compound as well as the Ferrodo DS2500 (i think thats what it is)

Pagid have some nice compounds too.

Basically dont go for the s*itty cheap ones and you are heading in the right direction lol.

The greenstuff never gave me any confidence under braking which was a shame...

Edited by Batfink

chocolate_o_brian
I use Carbone Lorraine RC5 on my road car, Mintex 1144's work very well as a fast road compound as well as the Ferrodo DS2500 (i think thats what it is)

Pagid have some nice compounds too.

Basically dont go for the s*itty cheap ones and you are heading in the right direction lol.

The greenstuff never gave me any confidence under braking which was a shame...

Heard good things about Mintex and Ferodo's. Not sure which I need for my calipers though. This is one thing thats always confused the hell outa me to be fair, the different calipers.

James_R

EBD yellows are ok aswell, but I run DS2500's

I'm going to go to motul racing fluid this time, the SRF I used was awesome, then the AP551 (or whatever it is) I did suffer a bit of spongey peddle after an extended battering, so goign one higher up this time round.

hengti

just out of interest, can i ask how SRF differs in feel to systems filled with 'lesser' fluids? i did have a can but didn't get around to using it (sold it on), not fancying the 18mth service life thing

Edited by hengti

chocolate_o_brian

Bit of an update...

Mate got me some decent DOT 4 fluid from Halfords on his trade card - £3.92 :D :D for a litre!

So hopefully gonna do a brake fluid swap in the next week and see what if any difference there is. Then come renewal time for the front pads, I'll probably go Ferodo.

James_R
just out of interest, can i ask how SRF differs in feel to systems filled with 'lesser' fluids? i did have a can but didn't get around to using it (sold it on), not fancying the 18mth service life thing

Sorry only just saw this. The feel is no different at all basically, but where I've started to have fade/fluid over heating (only biot of the system changed) with other brake fluids I've not had it with the SRF, £50+ a litre is pretty bad and 18months?? I thought it was more like 6? I certainly would change it every 12months or sooner really. I'm going to try out the Motul RBF600 £36 a litre after having the AP600 £26 a litre stuff in which is meant to be the same spec as SRF. seems you get what you pay for. :lol:

hengti
Sorry only just saw this. The feel is no different at all basically, but where I've started to have fade/fluid over heating (only biot of the system changed) with other brake fluids I've not had it with the SRF, £50+ a litre is pretty bad and 18months?? I thought it was more like 6? I certainly would change it every 12months or sooner really. I'm going to try out the Motul RBF600 £36 a litre after having the AP600 £26 a litre stuff in which is meant to be the same spec as SRF. seems you get what you pay for. :lol:

cheers. the 18mth thing is an iirc, from the tin. £50 every 6mths is even less appealing! :P

i don't think i had any overheating issues with Castrol Response in mine (which was more or less standard), so sounds as though the SRF would have been an over-indulgence in mine. it's defo the top fluid though - whenever i've seen charts of comparisons of wet/dry boiling points, it's been way ahead of anything else

James_R

Yeah if the cars virtually std then I wouldn't even consider it, I'd just go with dot 4 unless you have issues.

The times I've had noticable reducing in brake modulation more than fade (as it's the fluid not the pad) was after 20mins lapping at cadwell on ACB10's just started dieing off.