• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mnaylor9

1.9 Gti With A Cat

mnaylor9

Hi All,

Can't find anything using the search.

What is the difference between the 1.9 with a CAT and the one without, I know officially it loses 8bhp. Can you just put a standard exhaust from a 1.9 GTI non-cat onto it and then you have a normal 1.9 again?

Thanks

Mike

MikeT

The cataylst gti engine is lower compression (9.2:1 against 9:6:1) and runs on a motronic ecu rather than jetronic.

So no - you can't just swap the exhaust and it becomes non cat ! :(

Edited by MikeT

welshpug

its only 6 bhp, they run a Lambda sensor and a lower compression as mentioned, they do tend to run far closer to their factory quoted output, most were registered after August 92 where CATs were mandatory.

Edited by welshpug

SurGie

Mine is a sept 92 yet not a cat registered??

rubyna

Can the motronic ecu on the cat models be mapped???

pug_ham
Can the motronic ecu on the cat models be mapped???

Yes, just like the M1.3 on the Mi16 but the cost for gain really isn't worth it.

Graham.

MrG

also if you remove the cat exhaust and put a std one on you may fall foul of the MOT, where if your car is supposed to have one and its not there, it may fail.

mnaylor9
its only 6 bhp, they run a Lambda sensor and a lower compression as mentioned, they do tend to run far closer to their factory quoted output, most were registered after August 92 where CATs were mandatory.

Is the power loss noticeable, would it stop any of you buying one? There is an L plate one that I like the look of and the CAT issues is the only thing putting me off!

Miles

Not at all, the one I have at the moment goes if not better than the Jetronic version's as the engine's have full mapping of the Fuel and Igintion

CaptainK
Is the power loss noticeable, would it stop any of you buying one? There is an L plate one that I like the look of and the CAT issues is the only thing putting me off!

I had a L plate 1.9 GTi with CAT. It was very good and ran very close to its quoted power. 88bhp at the wheels / 117bhp at the fly. It went very well and the engine was very "stable" due to the Motronic ECU control.

I think the differences are obviously the CAT, engine compression is lower and the cams are different. When I converted to a GTi6 someone was after my cams as apparently they are a good upgrade for turbo motors or summat (due to the lower compression etc). I only upgraded to GTi6 power as the oil pump in my original 1.9 died and the engine was just a gona from there.

Anthony
Mine is a sept 92 yet not a cat registered??

It's the manufactured rather than registered date that's important, hence for example lots of 309 Goodwood's on K and L plates that are non-CAT. Your car will have been manufactured before the cut off date, hence not needing a CAT despite being registered past the date in question.

hispetdog
The cataylst gti engine is lower compression (9.2:1 against 9:6:1) and runs on a motronic ecu rather than jetronic.

So no - you can't just swap the exhaust and it becomes non cat ! :angry:

well if you swapped the exhaust it would technically be a non cat! :)

supersub14
also if you remove the cat exhaust and put a std one on you may fall foul of the MOT, where if your car is supposed to have one and its not there, it may fail.

This is true, BUT i put a non-cat exhaust on mine and it passed MOT no problem.

The only issue i have is the lambada sensor causes the engine managment light on the dash to light up now and again.

chris-stdt

So the cat models wont have any of the idleing problems or kangarooing ?

If so they sound like a better bet to me

2-Pugs

The motronic does run much better than the jetronic IMO mainly because the idle is stable even from cold, they hardly ever stall. The kangaroo problem is not entirely solved though.

On paper the cat engine might be a few bhp down on power but IMO it's a worthwhile trade off. The engine runs smoother and idles nicely. You'll also find that a lot of Jetronics (although probably NOT ones on here :ph34r: ) are so far off tune they're not making anywhere near their quoted power anyway.

one-lady-owner

Another benefit of the later Cat lower compression engine is that IIRC it makes peak torque at 4rpm instead of 4750rpm meaning that it becomes a better road car IMO, a lower torque band gives it a better pull at lower rpm meaning you don't have to rev the nuts off it! (Even if we still do..... :ph34r: )

Tesstuff

Can i add that the 205 Gentry, with the low compression 1.9i and the different Jetronic managment has a rock solid idle and never ever kangaroos and i thought that was normal until i started driving this 1.6 Gti as a daily and i now fully appreciate how good the Gentry is in this respect.

I have to say i am not enjoying an idle that has a mind of its own and kangarooing that seems to happen at totally random times.

:ph34r:

Edited by Tesstuff

Last Legend
It's the manufactured rather than registered date that's important, hence for example lots of 309 Goodwood's on K and L plates that are non-CAT. Your car will have been manufactured before the cut off date, hence not needing a CAT despite being registered past the date in question.

So how to find out the date that your car was made?Peugeot were distinctly rubbish when I asked them direct.

Baz
Another benefit of the later Cat lower compression engine is that IIRC it makes peak torque at 4rpm instead of 4750rpm meaning that it becomes a better road car IMO, a lower torque band gives it a better pull at lower rpm meaning you don't have to rev the nuts off it! (Even if we still do..... :D )

Yet you still do because the cat has strangled any chance it had of being quick in the first place!! :ph34r:

Can i add that the 205 Gentry, with the low compression 1.9i and the different Jetronic managment has a rock solid idle and never ever kangaroos and i thought that was normal until i started driving this 1.6 Gti as a daily and i now fully appreciate how good the Gentry is in this respect.

I have to say i am not enjoying an idle that has a mind of its own and kangarooing that seems to happen at totally random times.

:)

Because later cars would have Motronic rather than jetronic. :)

one-lady-owner
Yet you still do because the cat has strangled any chance it had of being quick in the first place!! :(

That's fighting talk!!! :D I think I'm happy to give up the extra 8bhp for a smoother engine that idles!! :P

welshpug

one thing to say to that, its only 6 bhp between 128 and 122, fit MP3.1 and they're even better :(

one-lady-owner

I stand corrected, it's not my maths that let me down, more my memory!! I had 130 in my head or some reason!

rubyna

At the end of the day mate i certainly wouldnt let a cat model put you off!! If anything id say the benefits of the cat models far good points outweigh the bad points by a good bit , ive owned 7 Gti,s now 1.6 and 1.9s the last 3 all being the later cat models and id not go back to the earlier versions. Ive allways decatted mine and fitted a lambda bung for the motronic management alllways worked a treat only the 1st1 i done it to the engine management light use to flash once in a blue moon...