• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mainline

1.6 Gti - Broken Down Again.

mainline

My 1992 1.6 GTi engine had always run fine until recently and I had never had an engine / fuelling problem. Its had a full service recently and a new exhaust, new fuel filter and also had the rear quarter panel replaced a few weeks back.

On the day I got it back from the body shop, it cut out on the way home. I got it going again, but the problem got worse until it wouldn't start at all.

So I replaced the fuel pump relay, fuel filter, which seemed okay anyway, the air flow meter. After replacing the relay, nothing happened. Its still wouldn't start, would crank but not fire.

After replacing the AFM and filter, it ran okay for a couple of days (30 miles). Initially, it wouldn't idle / run properly, but I adjusted the screw on the AFM and it ran okay after a bit of trial and error.

Yesterday it broke down in the same fashion as before, basically just cut out completely while driving normally. I had a fiddle with the screw AFM and managed to make it in to work, but it cut out once more before I got there. On the way home, it cut out several times, until eventually it died near my house. No amount of AFM fiddling would sort it.

Symptoms now are that it sometimes turns over, sometimes refuses to do so, just making a 'click'. It doesn't seem like fuel is getting through. The immobiliser keeps setting and re-setting itself. I can't hear the fuel pump buzzing, but the relay seems to be making some noise. I switched the relays over, no difference, unplugged the AFM, no difference. :)

Any ideas?

richsmells

Sounds like the immobiliser is shafted. Mine kept randomly cutting the fuel pump feed and generally making the car difficult to start.

Edited by richsmells

Tom Fenton

I'd eliminate the immobiliser as a starting point. Another one to look at is the lead from the distributor. This gives the ECU the running signal which in turn holds the fuel pump relay in. If this is faulty the fuel pump will not run and the car will cut out.

bucky

Im new to 205s but this sounds exactly like the problem I had with my 1.6. It would cut out while driving but then start again 5 mins later until it cut out so much it wouldnt start at all. Ive now replaced the ignition amp and coil and it seems to have sorted it (touch wood).

So if I were you I would do as the guys above said as they are probably more in the know! but what I mentioned could be worth checking?!

nick

I would start with the ignition amp. There have been a few posts recently with the same problems your having.

Nick

richsmells

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition to second position?

pete666

My 1992 1.6 GTi engine had always run fine until recently and I had never had an engine / fuelling problem. Its had a full service recently and a new exhaust, new fuel filter and also had the rear quarter panel replaced a few weeks back.

On the day I got it back from the body shop, it cut out on the way home. I got it going again, but the problem got worse until it wouldn't start at all.

So I replaced the fuel pump relay, fuel filter, which seemed okay anyway, the air flow meter. After replacing the relay, nothing happened. Its still wouldn't start, would crank but not fire.

After replacing the AFM and filter, it ran okay for a couple of days (30 miles). Initially, it wouldn't idle / run properly, but I adjusted the screw on the AFM and it ran okay after a bit of trial and error.

Yesterday it broke down in the same fashion as before, basically just cut out completely while driving normally. I had a fiddle with the screw AFM and managed to make it in to work, but it cut out once more before I got there. On the way home, it cut out several times, until eventually it died near my house. No amount of AFM fiddling would sort it.

Symptoms now are that it sometimes turns over, sometimes refuses to do so, just making a 'click'. It doesn't seem like fuel is getting through. The immobiliser keeps setting and re-setting itself. I can't hear the fuel pump buzzing, but the relay seems to be making some noise. I switched the relays over, no difference, unplugged the AFM, no difference. :)

Any ideas?

I had the exact same problem with a 92 1.6 and changing the ignition amp did work, does it mainly do it when it warms up??

richsmells
I had the exact same problem with a 92 1.6 and changing the ignition amp did work, does it mainly do it when it warms up??

Sorry O/T. Where about's in Bournemouth Pete? :)

Edited by richsmells

pete666
Sorry O/T. Where about's in Bournemouth Pete? :)

kinson area, you? :o

mainline
Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition to second position?

Sometimes, sometimes not. If it primes, it starts first time, then will just randomly cut out. Its getting worse though. Managed to get it home, but it cut out twice in less than a mile.

It does usually cut out after it has warmed a bit, but not always fully.

Think i'm gonna get an ignition amp, see if that fixes it, then if not, call an auto electrician and have him remove the alarm and immobiliser.

MrG

I have also heard that if when welding is carried out the thing isn't earthed correctly, it can play stupid things with a cars ECU during and after. Could it be this at all?

But I'd get rid of the alarm etc, I had this on my BMW and now thats been removed I have trouble free starting and running!

Sign in to follow this