• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
charlo99

Removing The Petrol Tank

charlo99

hi all,i've a bit of cutting and welding to do in the floor and boot and want to remove the tank just so i dont blow up :rolleyes:

is there anything i should look out for when removing the tank i no it should be straight forward but it is the 205 ofcourse

welshpug

look out for the fuel inside!

buy new fuel clips and nuts and washers before you tackle it (not jubilee's) :rolleyes:

charlo99

buy new fuel clips and nuts and washers before you tackle it (not jubilee's) :rolleyes:

i will do thanks,i'm a welsh man living in ireland,did u watch the game,was only welsh man in the pub :lol:

djinuk

yea and get the car nice and high so you can move under it, as it takes a little while.

charlo99
yea and get the car nice and high so you can move under it, as it takes a little while.

no doubt it will

pug_ham

A good plan to avoid snapping the studs off the hold it on at the back of the tank is to clean the threads as best you can with a wire brush & then run an M8 nuts down them with plenty of copper grease on so the threads are as cleanas you can get them.

Trying to undo the nuts straight off will most likely ensure tehy shear off.

Graham.

charlo99
A good plan to avoid snapping the studs off the hold it on at the back of the tank is to clean the threads as best you can with a wire brush & then run an M8 nuts down them with plenty of copper grease on so the threads are as cleanas you can get them.

Trying to undo the nuts straight off will most likely ensure tehy shear off.

Graham.

sounds like a plan nice 1 Graham

Anthony

Run the tank low on petrol before trying to move it as well - with only a gallon or so in there (fuel light on constant) it's easy to move about and you don't end up sloshing fuel everywhere, but it's a different story when there's a significant amount of fuel left in the tank.

charlo99
Run the tank low on petrol before trying to move it as well - with only a gallon or so in there (fuel light on constant) it's easy to move about and you don't end up sloshing fuel everywhere, but it's a different story when there's a significant amount of fuel left in the tank.

dont think there's much in it anyway but had thought about it thanks

Paul_13

I had to spend a good 20mins on each bolt trying not to snap them.

As said above use a wire brush and some copper grease.

Try to undo the nut till it gets tight, then tighten it half turn, then carry on trying to undo it. Backing off by half a turn here and there gets some of the rust and cr*p out the threads.

Edited by paul_xiii

charlo99
I had to spend a good 20mins on each bolt trying not to snap them.

As said above use a wire brush and some copper grease.

Try to undo the nut till it gets tight, then tighten it half turn, then carry on trying to undo it. Backing off by half a turn here and there gets some of the rust and cr*p out the threads.

will do sounds like the thing to do thanks

supersub14

do you just remove the bolts on the bottom and lower it down?

Or is there any pipes / petrol cap / pumps to disconnect as well?

i need to replace my brake lines unfortunately ;)

Anthony
do you just remove the bolts on the bottom and lower it down?

Or is there any pipes / petrol cap / pumps to disconnect as well?

i need to replace my brake lines unfortunately ;)

If you're only replacing the brake lines, then you don't need to fully drop the tank, just drop the rear of it down a few inches so you can reach above it - and thus you only need to disconnect the main tank filler pipe, and can leave the fuel lines and tank breathers connected. Obviously to remove the tank completely, you'd need to remove these two, as well as unplugging the wiring for the pump and level sender.

GeorgeXS

buy new fuel clips and nuts and washers before you tackle it (not jubilee's) smile.gif

Why are jubilee's not right? i cannot see any reason why they would not do the job the originals performed.

Thanks George