• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Omp 6 Point Bolt In Cage

Rob Turbo

I'm after a roll cage for my 205 but don't have a fortune to spend on one. I've been looking at the OMP 6 point bolt in cages, do these fit with the dash in place or does the dash need cutting/removing?

I take it it would be fine to weld one of these in rather than bolt it in? I also want a harness bar and door bars, could I just buy some pipe and weld it in? Does it need to be special pipe, i.e. seamless, and where can I get it from?

Thanks,

Rob

Jrod
I'm after a roll cage for my 205 but don't have a fortune to spend on one. I've been looking at the OMP 6 point bolt in cages, do these fit with the dash in place or does the dash need cutting/removing?

I take it it would be fine to weld one of these in rather than bolt it in? I also want a harness bar and door bars, could I just buy some pipe and weld it in? Does it need to be special pipe, i.e. seamless, and where can I get it from?

Thanks,

Rob

Can fit it fine with dash in.

The feet have to be welded into the car then the cage bolts to them, you could just weld the cage to the feet though. If the car is going to be used for competition you cannot modify it.

Rob Turbo

So if I go for a 2nd hand one I'll need to buy new feet for it? I assume nobody would cut them out of the car when they remove the cage.

It won't be used for competition as long as I have it, so I'm not too bothered about that.

Tom Fenton

All I would say is that if you are going to the trouble of doing it, you may as well make a nice job of it. The fabrication required for the mounts etc is not difficult really. Personal opinion I would rather fit a Safety Devices bolt in than an OMP one but I guess it depends on budget and what you want really. Any rollcage tube should be cold drawn seamless, so this is what you want for your door bars etc.

Rob Turbo

How much would I be looking at for a SD cage (weld in or bolt in, not really bothered, cheapest option!!) with harness and door bars?

And where from?

The problem at the minute is cash, I could go upto about £400 at the minute, I don't need a cage right now, there's plenty of other things to do to the car first, but if I had one now I could do all the welding at once, I'm lazy and don't like dragging the welder out more often than needed!

James_R

Baz is selling a C44 challenger cage, which I'd have over the OMP mechano cage or the std SD cage, the dash needs trimming, but it makes it easier to get in and out the car havign the front piping down the actual A pillar and has the harness bars in the web on the back already saving cost of getting CDS and welding it.

just my 2p

Rob Turbo

The C44 that Baz is selling is just the rear though isn't it? So I'd have to find somewhere to get the front part, and at £375 ono (plus delivery, which I've already asked him about) that's me cleaned out, and I'd only have half a cage!

axnutty

Ive got an OMP bolt in with doors bars and evrything else in a rolling shell (minus engine basically) for £600 in the for sale thread (plus only in York)

But I must say if your going to go to the trouble of fitting a cage yourself do it right and do it well. You might not be racing it, but the next owner might be and therefore it adds more value and appeal to your car.

I think you can just buy door bars from OMP but if you want to make your own then Ive bought steel before from Acaster Steel which has been well priced and they have been very helpful.

As for welding in rather than bolting in, then yes its no harder and shouldnt pose a problem.

No you dont need to cut the dash with an OMP cage, and as for ease of getting in and out, if your having door bars its irrelevant, its not that easy and having A posts 2" further forward wont make that much difference IMO. Besides, why do you want to get out? Its more fun in! :)

Cloverleaf

As an alternative to CDS you could make your door bars out of T45, it's almost double the strength so you can have thinner wall tubing and save weight....it's not cheap tho but once you've welded it in you can't think "I wish I'd used T45 to save weight"

welshpug

you can't just stick T45 into a CDS cage,if its CDS you use CDS, if its T45 you'd use T45.

different story if you make them bolt in though.

Cloverleaf
you can't just stick T45 into a CDS cage,if its CDS you use CDS, if its T45 you'd use T45.

different story if you make them bolt in though.

You can. Why wouldn't you be able to?