• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

Does The Brake Compensator Have To Sit At An Angle?

Paul_13

Hi all,

I've just put 307 brakes on the front, replaced the rear calipers and renewed all the brake lines.

The front brakes are sh*t hot I must admit!

Does this compensator need to be sitting at an angle as the haynes manual states?

p1010179.th.jpg

And here's a few pics of some other bits i've done

406 MC and new brake lines, handy grommet behind the cover that I fed the brake line through. Was for the ABS.

p1010184f.th.jpg

Nice new big brakes :) :)

p1010185f.th.jpg

And battery is now in the boot, held in place by a universal halfords battery clamp... B):D

p1010183a.th.jpg

pug_ham

Ideally yes, a 1.6 compensator should be sat at an angle because it helps with the restriction to the rear brakes so they don't lock up to easily but changing the angle of the compensator changes the amount of restriction.

Shame I've never found out which way to move it for more / less restriction.

Whats it like now with it inside the car by the rear seat dip? It looks flatter than it should be but can you tell if its giving more or less flow to the rear brakes?

TBH I'd expect that with a stripped out car like yours is a proper Bias valve would be a better choice.

Graham.

Anthony

Isn't it only 1.6 compensators that have to sit at an angle, and 1.9 style compensators (as pictured if I'm not mistaken) can sit where ever?

Certainly other cars that have similar 1.9 compensators usually have them sat vertically in the engine bay without issue.

Paul_13

Thanks for the info.

TBH I had an ABS setup before and it was absolute pants, running greenstuff pads all round so braking wasn't brilliant.

The new setup feels amazing from the front, but I havent managed to get up to speed in my GTI because my clutch has had it.

I cant push on the accelerator pedal more than a 10mm or the clutch starts slipping, so I'll have to wait to get the GTI engine in before I'll be able to see if they work properly :)

Tom Fenton

Now if I'm not mistaken that is a 1900 type regulator, usually these sit one in each line to the rear calipers. These are essentially a check valve that shuts according to pressure applied, so it matters not what angle they are mounted at.

The angle bit refers to the 1600 type compensator that is mounted on the NS chassis leg, this apparently uses some kind of moving element relating to braking forces occuring to limit the rear braking effort. If you tilt this towards the front of the car you get less braking effort, towards the back you get more effort.

Paul_13
Isn't it only 1.6 compensators that have to sit at an angle, and 1.9 style compensators (as pictured if I'm not mistaken) can sit where ever?

Certainly other cars that have similar 1.9 compensators usually have them sat vertically in the engine bay without issue.

In the haynes manual it breifly shows the compensator seated 22degrees with the ar*e end up, so you have to do a massive S-bend with the copper lines... won't look sightly

Pugtorque- I would go for a Bias Valve but the only ones I have seen are mega money

Anthony
In the haynes manual it breifly shows the compensator seated 22degrees with the ar*e end up, so you have to do a massive S-bend with the copper lines... won't look sightly

That's a 1.6 compensator that needs to be angled. 1.9 compensators don't.

Paul_13

Thats alright then, my compensator is a 1.9 unit.

Does any one know where to get a cheap/good brake bias valve?

Gentrix
That's a 1.6 compensator that needs to be angled. 1.9 compensators don't.

I can second that - I did the same twice - changing ABS compensators for the static 1.9 compensators. They sit in front of the rearbeam, parallel to the beam and at no special angle. And this conversion works a treat - even with the ABS still working. But there is one Compensator for each line - I dont know if they are suitable for a front-back splitted circuit.

andi

BTW: I think mounting the Harness to this rear strutbrace is a bit dangerous. I once had the same Strut and can remember, that the metal at rear arches is very thin and flimsy. I guess in case of an accident the bar will rip straight out.

Edited by Gentrix

Paul_13

Gentrix:- I had that thought in mind about the bar, I put it in ages ago and wish I didn't. I if i take it out i've got some nice rusty holes.

Build quality of it's shocking, someones literally got a scaffold bar a welder and a drill. Selling it for £90 probably :)

Some one had stuck a Spoox badge on it

welshpug

I'll confirm the thoughts on 1.9 valves, they are used on early 306's and ZX's on which they run at 90 degrees to the forward motion.

tri_longer
Thats alright then, my compensator is a 1.9 unit.

Does any one know where to get a cheap/good brake bias valve?

cheapest one i found. http://www.compbrake.co.uk/brake_p3.htm

can't comment on quality though as not tried one, though I am on the look out for one failry soon.

Jrod

My first one from compbrake broke within a few weeks but they did replace it and the second outlasted the car.

philfingers
Some one had stuck a Spoox badge on it

That probably explains it then!

I'd run a bias valve too. I just sold a new (well it was fitted but never used) compbrake one for £25 in P&P I think to someone on here, who's name escapes me.

The compbrake ones are ok, AP or Tilton better. I have tilton lever type in mine and it works well.

If you're not using the back seats that's the best place for your battery, the weight is all wrong in the boot really.

nothing wrong with the bar but make sure you have reinforcing plates on the wheelarch side too. So effectively a plate either side making a sandwich of the shell. MSA regs would dictate 3 x M10 bolts with a minimum plate area of 120sqCm I think. using this is a good guide

Compbrake sells stuff on ebay too

Paul_13

I'll have a look round for a bias valve i think, does it make a noticeable difference with one?

I'm not really to fussed about the battery being in the back, 1 side's slightly higher than the other so it evens it out :rolleyes:

I'm going to have a look about the harness bar, try and nick some plate from my mates garage and bodge something up

pug_ham

Yes, I didn't open the picture to fullsize so I didn't realise from the thumbnail it was a 1.9 compensator which can be sat anywhere :), iirc they are along the lines running down the bulkhead on the 309 GTI.

Thanks for explaining the difference in angle Tom, I might have a play with mine sometime & see what difference it makes although last time at Cadwell when I took Stew205 out for a passenger ride the rear left never locked up like it does when I'm on my own so I don't think it needs moving because it only locked up into the Hairpin corner before barn.

Graham.

Tom Fenton

To be honest an adjustable bias valve is a much better bet, and easy to install on a 1600 braking system as there is only one line front to rear. You will find you can use a lot more rear braking in the dry and then reduce effort in the wet.

pug_ham
To be honest an adjustable bias valve is a much better bet, and easy to install on a 1600 braking system as there is only one line front to rear. You will find you can use a lot more rear braking in the dry and then reduce effort in the wet.

I totally agree but its the hassle of routing the brake pipes inside for it to be easy access once fitted to play with it in various conditions & find my ideal balance.

One day, maybe but even the 1.9's I followed into hairpin were locking the L/H rear same as me.

Graham.

Paul_13

Routing the brake line car was the best bit apart, from ripping the old ABS system out! At long last.

I had a funny incident coming up to a roundabout where the inside back wheel locked up and jammed on because the caliper was fo*ked, sending me into a mini drift coming up to a roundabout... sideways :)

supersub14

how can you tell the difference between a 1.6 and 1.9 compensator by looking at it?

platty

Size. The 1.6 unit is quite big compared to the 1.9 unit.

Talking of compensators, Im renewing all the brake lines on my car. All in braided, with one line to the rear and a tee piece to split to each rear caliper. Compenstor wise, is it best to put one before the tee, or one on each line after the tee?

Edited by platty

Paul_13

From my experience the 1.9 compensator is an extruded hexangonal shape and the 1.6 compensator was round in shape.

Platty- I placed mine before the tee, as it does the same job as placing 2 after the tee.

Edited by paul_xiii

supersub14

paul & platty

thanks for that. Ive bought the right one :)

Paul_13

No worries dude.

I've got a spare 1.9 compensator if you need it

Paul