• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jengis

306 Xsi Gearbox

jengis

My 1.6 box is making noises, perhaps diff bearings are worn.... will have to get it off and open it up anyway.

I have a 306 XSi box that I could use instead (I have the XU10j2 engine in) but it would be nice to know the ratios before I use it. I won't bother if its a long-legged box. I think 3.79 f/drive??? That would be ideal!

Anyone have a clue, even if its just a guess!

Cheers,

Kev

jengis

A post by ifcho in an old thread included a gearbox/engine chart from a 306 workshop maual. Under "capacity" it gives 16 * 61 (suggesting a 3.81 final drive).

So I think I have answered my question! No idea what the ratios are but I'm guessing they would be the same as the 1.6 box. Should suit the engine perfectly! wish I'd chosen this box when I swapped the engines......benefit of hindsight :)

KRISKARRERA

When that engine is in the 405 the gears are fairly long, 70mph in 5th is only 3000rpm or maybe a bit more.

welshpug

unless you have a turbo it may be rather too long for a naturally aspirated engine in a 205.

right, a check of servicebox gives two final drive combinations, both 3.68 :rolleyes:

after that its difficult to be 100% without a code off the gearbox.

Edited by welshpug

jengis

I know the engine will have been used in a fair few different pugs and citroens but unlikely they will all have the same ratios.

hmmm 3.68..... Is that the same as a 1.9 f/d ? A bit too long for my liking as you say.

I've tried using servicebox myself but struggled with it. Is the info available under the "free services" (i'm not subscribing)

Cheers, for the help.

welshpug

quite possible a few other cars would use the same gearset, and yes the final drive may be the same as a diesel, though the gearset may be even longer.

if you have the VIN, or the code off the gearbox you can get a better picture of what's inside, unless you want to take it apart...

jengis

box is in my mates garage, will pick it up tonight. So a search using the code should get me the info? Will try later. Cheers

welshpug

on servicebox it may well do yeah.

jengis

After digging around from various sources but mainly servicebox I'm pretty sure these are correct for the 306 XSi 8v (BE3/5 S1 gearbox):

1st - ?

2nd - 1.850

3rd - 1.360

4th - 1.069

5th - 0.865

f/d - 3.79

Edited by jengis