• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BackStreetRacecars

[car_overhaul] Mi Power Later.......

BackStreetRacecars

Here goes my first member car works topic!!! I am a touch ashamed of my car history to date, Mostly 205s and 309s.... but they all seemed to be very rusty and not very good..... Just now I have two 205s... which I think its time to restore them properly... so I can have a can have two 205s as nice as some of the examples that grace these pages!!! I boght this car from miked from this forumas he is a good friend of mine, It was not running when I bought it and I only planned to run it for 6 month as the MOT would run out then and I didnt see me keeping it.... work went as follows

post-6256-1237985253_thumb.jpg

Buy one 205 gti!!

post-6256-1237984926_thumb.jpg

Tow to home and commence work!!

post-6256-1237985018_thumb.jpg

more to follow!

Edited by BackStreetRacecars

BackStreetRacecars

The car had some earthing problems, Once I had sourced new battery terminals ans soldered them together she was running... albeit very very smoky...... so down to a mates workshop to diagnose the smoke problems and check it over properly!!! Unfortunately the engine was bruning oil an awful lot so.... out with the engine.....

post-6256-1237985492_thumb.jpg

in the 'shop

post-6256-1237985475_thumb.jpg

me under car.... god I wish I had a ramp!!

post-6256-1237985524_thumb.jpg

out!!

post-6256-1237985534_thumb.jpg

engine dragged out from under the car and left!!

BackStreetRacecars

Whilst the engine was out I have to store the engine and 'box and my tools in the back... looked pretty good!!

post-6256-1237986154_thumb.jpg

on the search for an engine I came across this!!

post-6256-1237986173_thumb.jpg :lol: 45s!!! oh yeah!!

But one of the liners turned out to be cracked... Sold the carbs and manifold.... then continued to look for an engine...

BackStreetRacecars

Eventually gave up looking for an engine and lack of money stoppped me from doing any engine conversion.... so armed with a pair of long nosed pliers covered in a rag an old pinch bar modified and a good magnet it was time to change the valve stem seals!! :lol: With the cam removed, and the cylinder I was changing at eh time at tdc I used my mod'd pinch bar to push the valve springs down,I then held it down with a cable tie whilst lifting the valve with the pliers and using the magnet to get the collets out,very carefully remove the pinch bar ramove the spring, then change the stems seal and repeat in reverse..... et voila!! ;) ! shiny new stems seals without removing the head!!! so after changing the stem seals a new timing belt and the engine back in everything started to work out!!! got the car on the rad and drove about til it ran out of mot!!!

Pulled well in all gears and was great fun!!! 1.6s rock!! :blush:

BackStreetRacecars

I've got a set of Mi pistons and liners and I'm awaiting a price for an Mi head.... Thinkin about 1.9 td crack lightened and balanced, use the block, the pistons from stock and get Gti6 inlet,possibly exhaust and management!! Use the 1.6 'box!! I also have a few xu10 8v heads kicking about and a newman 300 cam which I might use with a set of 40's I have for the time being til I get the Mi built!!! something along those lines... I have loads more pics to follow!!!

BackStreetRacecars

the mot has recently ran out.... so i thought time for some new bits!!!

post-6256-1237990769_thumb.jpg

base model 309 beam!! 30 quid from a local breaker!! add 309 t/bs and arb from stock!!

post-6256-1237990786_thumb.jpg

309 gti front subframe with arb and good wishbones...... coupled with some 309 gti shafts and 1.9 hubs and struts!!

BackStreetRacecars

Eventually got it all together and she sat in my sisters drive for a while... uni was alot of work and I have some cash flow problems, :lol: after a few weeks got her down to a garage that I help out at to prep for MOT ;)

post-6256-1237991021_thumb.jpg

and got some more new bits

post-6256-1237991031_thumb.jpg

Cheers m@tt!!

BackStreetRacecars

I have been recently slowly collecting all the bits for my build!! here are some pics!!

post-6256-1238082611_thumb.jpg

Solid Rubber bottom mount!!

post-6256-1238082619_thumb.jpg

DCOM 40s

post-6256-1238082648_thumb.jpg

DCOE 40s

post-6256-1238082664_thumb.jpg

Set of Mi liners and pistons!!!!

I am unsure of the difference between the carbs,Will be rebuilding the DCOMs and still trying to find a manifold for an 8v for them.....

Also got a burette, for measuring combution chamber volumes..... I love getting things in the post!! rather get 205 bits in the post than s#*tty socks for christmas!!

any comments/suggestions welcome!!!

post-6256-1238082633_thumb.jpg

mikeyde

ahhhh looking good man, i still dunno why it were smoking tho, worked fine when i had it...honest!!!

just noticed i need to update my sig. its your shagged and faded j-plate now!! :)

BackStreetRacecars
ahhhh looking good man, i still dunno why it were smoking tho, worked fine when i had it...honest!!!

just noticed i need to update my sig. its your shagged and faded j-plate now!! :)

Excuse me mr..... Nae longer shagged nor faded.... guid and braw!! fact... :)

mikeyde

Here's a couple of pictures of it the day my dad and i rescued it from a farm i used to pass on my way to uni.

Took HOURS to get those damn drum brakes unstuck!

post-5674-1238084467_thumb.jpg

post-5674-1238084502_thumb.jpg

BackStreetRacecars

wqas doing some work to the car last night.... ended up washin her and found that..... I freakin love sorrento green :huh: its just so,so.... magical... anyway, was intending to weld some of the floor where at had cracked aroung the seat mounts, (joy) so finished off the freelander that I'd just built the engine for and the o/s/f brake was sticking. So much so that the thing was red hot after the test drive...

post-6256-1238331872_thumb.jpg

anyway, freed that off and checked the back brakes on that... needs everything.. .pile of scrap... I hate freelanders.

Eventually got that off the ramp and got mine on. Cut out the offending article and made up a new section.Tacked it in place all nice and neat... then realised there was no welding mask about. Had gotten to far to not do it so, very slowly started to stitch it together bit by bit... Aiming,looking away and welding til I had attached a decent looking seam all the way round!! braw! Then decided to give it the once over for MOT!! Got a wee list together for it...

1:Interior back in

2:Gearbox oil change

3:Bleed + adjust the brakes

4:Rear exhaust mounting on beam

5:Bloody remove the beam again and cut the lugs off it... fouling on the floor...... grrrrrrr :D

I got as far as realising that I had to take off the beam again and I put the ramp down threw all the stuff back in the car and left the garage in a huff.... :o

and today I've woken up with sunburn from the welder *delighted*..... I hope this car is worth it!!!

BackStreetRacecars

update time.... As it is the easter weekend the garage was closed... and instead of revising fof exams I thought it'd be more productive to get on with the car.....

Take one 205

post-6256-1239469745_thumb.jpg :rolleyes:

paint recently repaired floor to prevent future rusting

post-6256-1239469790_thumb.jpg

post-6256-1239469798_thumb.jpg

more to come below

BackStreetRacecars

aaagh....

BackStreetRacecars

ad this!! :rolleyes:

post-6256-1239469947_thumb.jpg

get some of these inside....

post-6256-1239470017_thumb.jpg

I also got the 'box oil changed and the door mirror on today. Secured the exhaust too. Tomorrow I shall be fitting the Four branch stainless manifold I have and the solid rubber bottom bush...... Excellent!!! I'm getting very excited about putting another 205 on the road!!! maybe too excited :lol: