• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SPGTi

Steering Quickener

SPGTi

Anyone used one of these ? Seem to be popular in the US, but need a bit of fabrication to the steering column to fit. Apparently you can get 1.5 : 1, 2:1 and 2.5:1 so anything from quick to very quick !!

This one retails for $112.

col-22369640x480.jpg

Steve

AdamP

That's the thing.... for what it would cost to have one of those shipped over here you are well on your way to the price of a quick rack kit! I suppose for models where quick racks aren't available it could be appealing.

Baz
That's the thing.... for what it would cost to have one of those shipped over here you are well on your way to the price of a quick rack kit! I suppose for models where quick racks aren't available it could be appealing.

exactly, and i'd rather just have a QR rather than more in the steering components to possibly go wrong/wear and give play etc.

tom_m

it's just a little gearbox, a clever little idea!

Rippthrough

The landrover guys run them over here, forever developing play/stripping splines after whacking a wheel.

philfingers

Was talking to a canadian guy who's over with us at the mo. he rallies an evo III lancer. anyway he has one of those steering boxes. the exact same (except his is 2:1) and he thinks it's great.

there's no play/ backlash and they're rebuildable. only thing is he says is the box has to be mounted to something solid. Easy on a 205 I reckon. He didn't bother with fittings, cut his own column and welded the thing in. He's a mechanical engineer so knows his stuff too.

Phil

PaulJLLD
The landrover guys run them over here, forever developing play/stripping splines after whacking a wheel.

Landrovers have silly big wheels which is half the problem, would be fine if thay had small wheels and didint drive into every rock thay can find.

Rippthrough

Well, a glance off a kerb is just as bad...