• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Cleaning Products

GLPoomobile

I'm thinking I really must get off my arse and clean my poor neglected 205 as spring is upon us. I have £100 of detailing products bought over a year ago that I've never used, so now is the time. But there's a few things that I've read about lots of times but not sure where to buy them, or even what they specifically are.

All Purpose Cleaner. I keep hearing people talking about using an All Purpose Cleaner as an initial cleaning product. Are we talking general domestic cleaner here, or what? What specifically do people mean by All Purpose Cleaner? What should I look for? Where can I buy it? Sorry if this is a ridiculously mong-ish thing to ask :D

Panel Wipe. I'm going to need to re-spray my valences. Normally I'd just clean before painting with white spirit or soapy water, which might explain why I'm not the greatest painter! I've heard of people using panel wipe, but where can I get some and what specific product should I look for?

Scotch blocks/pads? Not sure if that's the right name. I need to give my trims a bloody good cleaning as they've been painted previously and it's flaked off. Heard of scotch blocks/pads or something being used for this. Again, where can I buy them, and is there a specific product name to look for?

Edited by GLPoomobile

EdCherry

All Purpose Cleaner, cheapest ever and a good effective one is from tescos.... its called Daisy, dilute it a bit 10:1 or something and make sure you wash it of. Does a good job of cleaning things, the stronger the mix the better :D just make sure you clean it off.

platty

Panel wipe. Im guessing you won't need very much, so nip into halfords and pick up a packet of Paint Preperation Wipes. Think they are £2.

Tbh though, white spirit is fine, but you need to use a cloth that doesnt leave bits of fabric behind(defeats the object of cleaning/degreasing it). :D

Scotch pads you can also buy from Halfords. They look like the green backing you find on sponges, but in a purple/deep red colour.

Biggest problem you'll have is keeping the dust down, and heat up. I buy a polythene dust sheet from B&Q for about £4ish and suspend it from the ceiling, then put a little calor gas stove/heater in there, and wet the floor. It gets frigging hot(40+!), but the paint is dry within seconds of leaving the can. A dust mask's is a must!

Edited by platty

Tom Fenton

White spirit is s*ite IMO, its oil based and that is exactly what you do not want on your surfaces. If you want something cheap use Meths as this is alcohol based and evaporates off. Even better find a paint supplier and buy a can of proper panel wipe, just go in and ask for panel wipe.

For scotch pads look on ebay, I recently bought a boatload for about £12.

Andy_C

Find a good bodyshop supplier and they'll sort you out properly.

The best APC/degreaser I've come across is Bilt Hamber Surfex - not cheap but dilutes at ridiculously low ratios with water (as low as 1%) and cleans like nothing else I've tried.

If you can't get hold of panel wipes, buy some IPA, either on ebay (cheapest) or a litre for a tenner in Maplin - perfect for wipedown purposes.

A good alternative to scotchblocks are Abralon sanding discs - have a look at www.polishedbliss.co.uk

steve@cornwall

I've found scotchblocks / pads can be rather harsh on plastic trims. My vote is for a suede brush from the shoeshop and fine wire wool!

davey sprocket
If you can't get hold of panel wipes, buy some IPA, either on ebay (cheapest) or a litre for a tenner in Maplin - perfect for wipedown purposes.

Really???

IPA.jpg

:rolleyes:

EdCherry
Really???

IPA.jpg

:rolleyes:

IPA as Isopropyl alcohol

marksorrento205
IPA as Isopropyl alcohol

And good sh!t too!

Andy_C
Really???

IPA.jpg

:lol:

:D That comes in handy when you've spent all day washing & waxing!