• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Why Aren't Brake Lights Linked To Handbrake?

GLPoomobile

There's been a lot of talk recently about high level LED brake lights, due to the number of rear-enders that have occured in a short space of time. But a lot of those (IIRC) happened when stationary in traffic or at lights. So a high level brake light would make no difference since you should really have the hand brake on when stationary, rather than sitting with your foot on the brake pedal.

So why is the handbrake not connected to the brake lights?

The only sensible reason I can think of is to avoid unnecessary use, like all those times when you have the car on the drive with the handbrake on, ignition on (maybe playing the stereo) while you give it a polish etc. This would obviously put a drain on the battery and shorten the life of the bulbs. Other than that, I can think of no reason not to have them linked.

Would it be an MOT fail if they were linked? Cos I'm thinking it would be such a piss easy thing to do, and could prove beneficial, and you could easily incorporate a manual switch to disable it when not required.

Thoughts?

DrSarty

This is an easy one; my dad taught me this many years ago.

If you're going fast down a motorway or similar, and you see or suspect a Police car is coming up behind or has clocked you, you can ease off the gas and apply a little bit of handbrake to scrub off some speed without showing that's what you're doing.

It's an anti-admission of guilt system.

:)

miamistu

Probably to stop dazzling people when queuing in traffic. :D

I'd be up for it though if it cuts down rear enders :)

Batfink

because a brake light is to show you are slowing down. A handbrake is for keeping your car in one place once you've stopped. You have hazard lights for if you are stopped and in a dangerous position.

Sorry its a sensible answer lol

Edited by Batfink

hexhamstu
This is an easy one; my dad taught me this many years ago.

If you're going fast down a motorway or similar, and you see or suspect a Police car is coming up behind or has clocked you, you can ease off the gas and apply a little bit of handbrake to scrub off some speed without showing that's what you're doing.

It's an anti-admission of guilt system.

:)

haha i was also taught this technique!

Anthony

If you're at the back of a queue of traffic, keep your foot on the footbrake until such time as a car pulls up behind you - easy to do, and makes your car a little more visable to traffic approaching from behind. Not going to stop every rear end shunt, but might help prevent (or atleast reduce the severity of) some instances :)

welshpug

If you've seen how bright modern brake lights are you'd understand why its a bugbear of mine when people pull up to a stop in front of you and leave their foot on the brake, that's what the ruddy handbrake is for!

You can get off the mark far quicker if you use the handbrake too...

In extreme cases I do as Anthony mentioned, though not if I've been pegging it and have hot discs, don't want to warp them!

Baz

Just use your mirrors and then apply the footbrake accordingly when sat stationary in traffic, or is that too much common sense to ask?? :)

GLPoomobile

I suppose this is another one of those solutions to a problem that doesn't exist. Or rather, that shouldn't exist. I wouldn't have even thought about it were it not for all these f***ing morons that have decided they want to mate their car with any 205 GTI they see on the road :)

As for me, well it just occurred to me that it's a really bad habit of mine to sit with my foot on the brake instead of using the handbrake, so this 'problem' doesn't even apply to me anyway :D

Rom

Vaild points really. Can see the logic behind the idea.

I often keep my foot on the break at junctions etc. Think its just habit, as i dont think about it.

Unfortunately, i think a lot of rear enders are going to happen regardless. Its not hard to see a car is slowing or stationary. The problem is the person behind just isnt looking. There normally doing something else, changing cd etc. They will never admit that ofc.

Id like to think having brake lights on would help....but theres a lot of idiots on the road.