• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Immobilisers

hexhamstu

trying to get my girlfriends landrover started, battery wasnt charged engough to start it but i could get the immobiliser to de activate now ive charged the battery i cant get it to de activate.

under the dash i can see that the ign switch wires are plugged into some black wires that go under the dash then some more black wires re-emerge to plug into the other half of the ign switch wires (spliced into it)

SO if i just take these black wires out and re-wire the ign switch as it was before will it start, is this likely to be the only immob bits, or are there more black wires attached to other things?

Stu

They're usually two circuit, and to be honest, badly installed so just do what you've done mate. Try to identify the live, ground and switch live, by process of elimination the rest should be immobiliser.

Anthony

Potentially more wires - difficult to say without seeing it, but there's normally two seperate circuits that are immobilised (normally starter and fuel pump on a petrol car), and then there's usually a constant 12v feed, an earth (or two), and an switched ignition feed.

I've removed enough badly installed alarms and immobilisers now, and usually most aftermarket installed ones are done so shabbily that it's pretty easy. Follow the black wires that you've found and eventually you'll find the control box, and from there, you should be able to trace the other black wires. Join the cut wires back together, and once you're satisfied that the car now starts, remove the power/earth feeds and finally pull out the control box and deposit in the nearest bin.

Good luck :)

hexhamstu

well the ign switch wires are all colour coded so its obvious where the should go, just need to get some yellow cable connecters then. (someones supposed to be buying it today!!)

hexhamstu

now i have 3 cars to fix! so annoying!

M@tt

with an immobilser you usually have a permanent and switched feed for the immobiliser box itself and these are uually just joined/spliced onto existing permanent feed to, and switched output from, the ignition barrel.

you will then have have a couple of immobiliser circuits, usually immobilising the starter wire and the and fuel pump wire. Each of these single wires which power these 2 devices will have been cut and the 2 ends joined to the 2 wires of the each of the respective circuits from the immobiliser. So you'd have to just uncut the 4 wires and join the correct pairs back together again.

If they've done a proper job installing the immobiliser they should have removed a section out of the original wire so that its not possible to join the 2 ends back up together., but you might be luck and find they've joined all the wires together around the same point under the dash

hexhamstu

right finding the control box was pretty easy, was under the dash, and i have found 10 out of 11 wires, one wire im guessing is the live feed, but im not sure heres some photos.

2 of the black cables earth on the chassis..

P1010063.jpg

8 go to the ign switch

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/hex...dy/P1010064.jpg

and theres this extra one to the right of the smaller wires

P1010067.jpg

hexhamstu

AH that other wire goes to the ign key hole thingy whatsit. going to buy some yellow connecters now and bin this sack of s*ite.

Stu

Id guess the one to the right being the bit that you poke the key in if its the 'key' type, or the transponder receiver if its that type.

Obviously the two on the chassis are earth, trace the others to their respective wires, using a multimeter identify which are earth, live and switched live and that should leave immobiliser.

So, if we assume its a two circuit immobiliser, there will be 4 that are immob.

As you've got the colours, just follow either end of the colour if you get my meaning, that should be the 'broken' immob circuit, id join these together first as a test, then take the rest out once you're certain.

hexhamstu

hhaha SUCCESS i beat the immobiliser!

Stu

Good man. :D

hexhamstu

and someone came a bought it!! even more of a success