• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brolly

Carbs Vs Body Throttels Vs Turbo

brolly

Can some one explain me the differences between bikes carb and body throttles?

To convert my 106 xsi 1.4 (TU-3-FJ) to carb or throttles body what is needed to be change?

Apart from the bike carb\ throttle body do I need something else ?

Do I need too use the engine ECU anymore?

Is turbo charging the 1.4 engine suggested? It is not my intention to use a large turbo. Just a ct9 from a starlet gt or a t2 from a ford 1.8 td engine. Small turbo that spool almost instantly giving that kick hehe

A part from the turbo it self and the manifold what else needs to be done ?

Can some one tell me which is the best route considering fuel consumption and power?

Adnic69

Carbs are old school but nothing wrong with them. These are tuned to the engine using different sized jets to get the fueling.

Throttle bodies are less mechanical and more technical as you have injectors with these controlled by an ecu. Tunning is controlled by the ecu. You will get more power and economy from tb's but will be more expensive.

I don't think that you can use diesel turbo's on petrol engines.

If you have the money a throttle body setup with a nice supercharger would be good.

decoc182

You should get away with a turbo off a diesel engine. Im using this myself on my tu 1.4, but im using a gt15 off a citroen HDI engine. Your best to use the original body/carb or if your converting over to carb, use a renault 5 gt turbo carb. I have used one of these and they mate up to a TU3 carb manifold with relative ease.

Dont forget however you will need to double headgasket the engine or use a single thicker head gasket to lower the CR of the engine. Intercooler is also reccomended to bring the charge temps down

Kroged

A friend of mine have a 106 xsi 1.4 with turbo. A few weeks ago he got it dynoed and the results was 262bhp in the engine. around 220bhp on the wheels. I think he uses a turbo from some sort of Volvoengine. T5 I think.

It's amazing what this small tu-engines are capable of!

brolly

can you tell him if he can share with us the specs and modifications he had done

Kroged
can you tell him if he can share with us the specs and modifications he had done

I give you the link to his car on a swedish car-site.

I will try to translate the specs to english :ph34r:

http://www.garaget.org/?car=104915

Lowered compression by using pistons from TU3M + some grinding on the chambers. The head has got some work done to. The turbo is a TD04-16T fron volvo. Adaptions has been made on the original exhaust manifold to fit the turbo. Intercooler remade from a Scania. Ecu is Haltech E8. Injectors is 510cc from a lancer evo. 550cc @ 3.5bar.

the exhaust is 3" från turbo and out with two simons silencers.

standard clutch with the gearbox from a 206xs to get a higher ratio.

The car is being driven on E85 ethanol.

That's about it. Anything more you would like to know? just ask :lol:

Edited by Kroged

snillet
I give you the link to his car on a swedish car-site.

I will try to translate the specs to english :)

http://www.garaget.org/?car=104915

Lowered compression by using pistons from TU3M + some grinding on the chambers. The head has got some work done to. The turbo is a TD04-16T fron volvo. Adaptions has been made on the original exhaust manifold to fit the turbo. Intercooler remade from a Scania. Ecu is Haltech E8. Injectors is 510cc from a lancer evo. 550cc @ 3.5bar.

the exhaust is 3" från turbo and out with two simons silencers.

standard clutch with the gearbox from a 206xs to get a higher ratio.

The car is being driven on E85 ethanol.

That's about it. Anything more you would like to know? just ask :)

It´s quite amazing that the clutch holds up for it really B)

And it should be mentioned that there´s been quite a few setbacks down the road before it was working good.

Standalone Injection system makes things easier to work together, you could say.

But it´s a beast now, doesn´t end there either, more is coming up from that mans garage :D