• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
A2TheA

Torsion Bar Bush?

A2TheA

my 205 gti failed its mot and on the list of the failures was there was 'play' in the end of the torsion bar. the sheet said 'bearing/bush slightly worn' which means they are not quite sure :wub:

any way does anbody know what on earth this could be?

i was told if you hold the rear offside wheel and wiggle it you can feel movement in the suspension apparently. i have the car at home atm so i can repair it all myself. just wondered what views anybody else had on this.

chhers Aaron

Rom

Doesnt sound logical to me.

Theres no bush or anything on the torsion bars. Its a interferance fit, held in with a torx screw one end, and the stud and a nut the other.

Id jack it up, and see what movement can be felt. More likely to be a bearing or something id have thought.

For a torsion bar to have play, it would have to have worn the spines down from the beam, or itself.

Daz_C
i was told if you hold the rear offside wheel and wiggle it you can feel movement in the suspension apparently. i have the car at home atm so i can repair it all myself. just wondered what views anybody else had on this.

chhers Aaron

^^^^^^ What he said.

It can only be either trailing arm bearing play or wheel bearing I'd have thought ?

I'd guess they'd know if it was the wheel bearing though and would have said that.

I'm guessing you may need a can opener................................................ for that tin of worms your about to open if its the trailing arm bearings :) Hopefully not though.

May be worth speaking to the MOT'er to find out exactly what he means ?

welshpug

from the description, that sounds like a dead rear beam.

Miles

It's a Generic term meaning your beams dead, There's only so many pull down option's and as you know you cannot tell what has failed unless you take it apart

A2TheA

oh dear, this doesnt sound like fun what so ever. :)

welshpug

at least you don't live far at all from Miles if you don't fancy tackling it yourself!

Miles

Hard part is finding a good beam tube, The rest is easy if slightly expensive

A2TheA
Hard part is finding a good beam tube, The rest is easy if slightly expensive

being a student is coming around and biting me in the a**e now :)

i have checked for this 'movement' in the beam/bars/ anything else that moves. the only movement i could feel was the suspension travel. there was no other movement in any other direction at all. which has now super confused me. im going to get hold of the mot'er tomorrow to ask him what he thinks he is on about

thanks for the advice etc guys.

and miles i may be in touch if i can find funds :blush:

Aaron

Miles

They can and do make mistakes, I had my mates 406 in as a MOT failure with a nail in the N/S/R tyre (Was the front one) rear wheel bearing gone, Was the top suspension link arm and emmission's but when I tested them if the CO or H/C where much lower nothing would come out the exhaust