• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
powermandan

Rear Stub Axle Removal

powermandan

Hi

i regretably was doing some enthusiastic driving the other afternoon and lost the back end on a round about :) the nearside rear wheel hit the curb and is now bent 5-6 degrees (estimate) inward.

Had a good look at it and discovered that id also sheared the rear disk off the hub but i cant see any obvious bends in the suspension. After some advise on another forum ive come to believe that my stub axle is bent.

I attemped today to remove my rear hub from the stub axle, the haynes manual (309 version) doesnt seem to document it at all.

ive got the dust cover off and removed the staked nut, how do i get the rest off?

how do i remove the stub axle from the trailing arm?

Thanks

Dan

rearhub.th.jpg

welshpug

Either tap it off (remove the disc guard) or use a puller on it, beware that the bearings usually fall out of the plastic cage as you pull the hub off.

To remove the stub wind a nut onto the thread and give it a clout with a soft faced hammer.

Before going that far I'd check that it is the stub that's bent by fitting a disc and seeing if its straight in the caliper.

powermandan
Either tap it off (remove the disc guard) or use a puller on it, beware that the bearings usually fall out of the plastic cage as you pull the hub off.

To remove the stub wind a nut onto the thread and give it a clout with a soft faced hammer.

Before going that far I'd check that it is the stub that's bent by fitting a disc and seeing if its straight in the caliper.

so presuming the bearings fallout when i pull the hub off, is it hard to put new bearing in and the hub back on?

Thanks

Dan

welshpug

you have to buy a new hub, the bearing isn't replaceable.

pug_ham

The bearing part number is for the full hub assembly.

I've removed several disc rear hubs without the bearings falling out though but the inner race usually stays on the stub axle.

Graham.

pugdamo

Same as above,removed a few and the inner race stays on the stub axle,i normally just put the hub nut on the stub axle,and using a copper hammer hit the stub axle inwards,as the stub axle comes out it will slide the bearing off,they usually go back together with no problems.

I would have thought it is the stub axle thats bent,there pretty weak when it comes to a whack on the curb,lol.

There pretty expensive new,i did one on a VTR for a mate and it was around £70 from Citroen if i remember rightly,and that was with my staff discount

welshpug

You can get the stubs from peugeot sport france for about £15 IIRC.

powermandan

thanks for the replies guys.

Im still slightly confused about the whole thing. what are the odds on me doing this job without having to buy a new hub?

Could i get one from a base model 205 from a scrappy if needs be?

Anthony

Disk and drum brake stub axles are different.

pug_ham
Im still slightly confused about the whole thing. what are the odds on me doing this job without having to buy a new hub?

Could i get one from a base model 205 from a scrappy if needs be?

Pretty high imo, on those I've swapped plenty of times before & even if the bearings do fall out of the hub, clean them up, put them back into the plastic cage with a smear of suitable grease around the bearing.

They're still working on my car now.

When you've swapped the stub axle, the hex in the back of the stub axle is only there for a small turn to align the splines on the axle with those in the radius arm so don't worry if it doesn't turn because it shouldn't do.

You are meant to torque the hubnut up to 250lbft initally after swapping stub axles to make sure its fully seated home in the radius arm & then loosen / retorque to 160lbft & stake the hubnut into the axle.

Like Anthony says, drum brake stub axles are different, shorter iirc.

Graham.

powermandan

Tried local pug garage and they would'nt sell me it without the trailing arm, couldnt find them on the peugeot sport france either. managed to get one second hand though.

powermandan

im pretty sure im going to have to rebuild me beam in the near future, as the back end appears to be sagging or if im lucky maybe it was lowerd?!? the camber is correct on the rear wheels though.

what might be the cause of the sagging?

thanks

Dan

pugdamo

If your able to put a pic up mate,im sure we will be able to say whether its lowered or you have a problem. I would say its probably been lowered though,not really much can cause them to sag,apart from weak torsion bars but i wouldnt have thought that would make it that noticable

philfingers

I need to change the rear wheel bearing on my 1900 205 (discs). I have a new bearing fitted on another beam.

I have the hub nut undone on the spare beam. So how's best to get it off, screw the nut back on and them drive back in to loosen the beaing on the shaft? The hub is semi loose already.

Or would it be safer to just swap the whole trailing arm. This should be easy enough as both beams have been apart.

Any advice appreciated

one-lady-owner

Given how ridiculously easy it is to hammer out and re-fit stub axles I probably wouldn't go to the lengths of changing trailing arms, just a few swift clouts with a hammer on the end of the stub axle and the hub falls off, and as Graham has said both in my stub axle thread and this one, and as I found out, removing the stub axle doesn't make rear wheel bearings fall apart forever, they are very re-usable!!

paul205mi16

Do the stub axels get knocked inward toward the car then?

one-lady-owner

They do, yes. Leave the hub nut on the end of the thread (if you want to re-use the axle you're taking out, you'll need the nut on so you don't damage the thread!) and hit it towards the car, the axle will come out the inside of the trailing arm, it's quite a violent job as they take some force to get them to move but they will move!!

philfingers

yep sorted tonight. Knocked the old one on the car back and the bearing/hub fell off. looks like it wasn't fitted correctly as the rubber seal wasn't contacting the back plate. I had a very nerw bearing on a spare beam so knocked that out and used that. Fine now. Just need to gte the studs out of the old hub, easier said than done as the nuts are so longI can't get two on to lock against each other. Anyone know the thread, M12 x 1.25?

Phil

ps I used an old drive shaft as have about 5-6 lying about and a lump hammer to avoid damaging the stub axle