• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ludders

Mi16 Intermittent Over Revving Problem

Ludders

Hi, I recently got my MI16 back from the garage after a top end rebuild, new K&N induction kit and a few other bits and it has now developed an intermittent problem. Sometimes when I start it the revs shoot up to between 2 and 3000rpm and don't drop back down until I've been driving for a short while. I haven't noticed any particular pattern but it seems to be worse when you stop and re-start the car when it's fully warmed up.

The revs can also do this but not as often when I'm driving and I just pull up to a stop, it doesn't always drop smoothly back down to a normal idle speed. No where near as bad as the very high revs after starting.

It's on normal MI16 management and all the igntion components are in good nick. It also seems to be noticeably more jerky to drive in traffic than before. Power is excellent and smooth, no nasty noises either.

I will be taking it back to the garage but if anyone has any idea what it might be it would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Ethos

When it does it, try pulling the accelerator pedal back to make sure it's returning back to where it should.

I think this can also be caused by a worn throttle body...

My MI goes up to able 1.7-2k for a moment when I first start it up, although if I restart when it's warm won't.

Edited by Ethos

Ryan

Check the throttle position switch. If it's not working, or not connected properly then the idle control valve stays fully open and you end up with higher revs.

Ludders

I have checked the throttle cable, it's definately nothing to do with that.

Does the fact that it is intermittent point toward to the TPS?

Sadly I am not mechanically competent YET, is there a way I can check the operation of the switch?

Blipping the throttle when the revs are sticking high also seems to do nothing. They will eventually all of a sudden just drop back to normal.

Thanks for the advice.

S@m

I would agree that it sounds like the TPS, i had a problem similar to this which was down to some dodgy wiring on the switch. Provided the cable is definetly not the issue.

Sam

Hardgraf

Check for simple air leaks mate. Tighten jubilee clips etc.

Edited by Hardgraf

Sign in to follow this