• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gwpug

Drilled And Grooved Discs?

gwpug

My brakes soon need replacing and i have been trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my discs???

I was thinking of changing front discs for drilled and grooved discs and green stuff pads but would this make the brakes too good(would they be too eiger to lock the wheels)?

any advice would be much appreciated!!!

andyjstone
My brakes soon need replacing and i have been trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my discs???

I was thinking of changing front discs for drilled and grooved discs and green stuff pads but would this make the brakes too good(would they be too eiger to lock the wheels)?

any advice would be much appreciated!!!

I have 283mm grooved discs on mine with EBC green stuff pads and it works just fine.

Andy

HERMAN

It all depands on what you will be using them for? If it is just road use and not track days ect then I would save the money and fit a good quality disc and pad like mintex or ferodo (most motor factor stock them) But if you are doing any sporty driving then do search because this has been covered many times. I have been told by many people that Green stuff pads are a gimick to take money off boy racers (I have never used them myself). There are alot beter products for the price like mintex 1144 and 1155 if you search those numbers you will find a weath of information.

regards

Neil

swordfish210

Not much point really. If you're using the discs hard enough then they'll still warp and turn blue, only difference is that drilled and groved discs cost loads and cheapo discs from the local motorfactors cost £11 each. Besides, groved discs feel horrible as, with a good braking system, you can feel them vibrating through the pedal, and drilled discs are much more prone to craking.

MarkK

I am running EBC green pads and their own discs,they deffo bite better than standard from cold then as they warm up they get even better,i pound mine not had any fade,no vibrations through the pedal.The disc material and pad are designed to work together,i know what has been said but i quite rate them,maybe the compond of the pad has been uprated/modified?

richsmells

If it's just for the road, get some normal basic vented disks and set of 1144s. Mine have lasted ages and i've not managed to get them to fade through spirited driving. I had some cheapo pads on before and they faded constantly.

Anthony

Standard disks and uprated pads is the way to go for improvements retaining the existing calipers.

CaptainK
Standard disks and uprated pads is the way to go for improvements retaining the existing calipers.

+1 !

After fitting "dimpled and grooved" 3G discs and restuff pads to my FTO I found the braking was still pants (FTO weakness of pants standard brakes). The "uprated" brakes parts did sweet FA and if I'm honest probably made the braking a little worse - but only when cold. Warmed up its about the same braking effort.

So with my 205 GTi6 I just got the standard discs and a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads. They are brilliant !

Paul_13

I've fitted 307 brakes on the front with mintex 1144's and on the back i've got standard discs on standard pads.

Previously I was running green stuff pads all round, absolute w*nk in my opinion. Half the pad was missing on the nearside rear and the whole pad had turned black without a hint of green in it, this was the same for all the rear ones. This was using EBC 'Turbo Groove' (gives you 5+hp :lol:) discs.

The front pads tended to judder a bit under braking, this may have been cause by the reddot brake discs I was using.

They only seemed to work in the cold best.

Fitting the new setup has put a massive s*it eating grin on my face every time i stand on the anchors. :P

Edited by paul_xiii