• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick

Wishbone Bush Removal...

nick

A lot of people burn these out and some, me included, drill the rubber then punch them out. I have just tried a different method and took both bushes out completely in about 15 minutes!!

I bought a multi size hole cutter (the type you put in a drill sometimes called a tank cutter) from Wilko's for about £3. The smallest size saw, 26mm, is the perfect size to just slip over the inner metal part and just slip inside the outer metal piece which means it just takes out the rubber in the bush. If you drill through the rubber, I used loads of WD40 as a coolant/lubricant, the centre metal part will just drop out. This just leaves the outer metal ring to remove. I used a round parallel punch for this (£1 from Wilko's again...) there is just enough of a lip on the outer ring to get a grip on and after three or four whacks with a lump hammer the ring just drops out!

I just thought I would post up for anyone doing a search.

Nick

Bonzai

i did it using a vise, a socket and a lump hammer, done in half the time. It was a pattern w/bone so maybe they aren't as snug as pug ones

nick

Mine is a pattern part too and the outer ring was a bit tight but soon gave in after a few whacks!!

How did you manage to get the hammer in? they only knock out from the inside out??

If we're racing, I reckon I could do it in under ten minutes now.... :)

Nick

Edited by nick

M_R_205

if its a race i lose, probably took me 15 mins per bush drilling, twisting, whacking, sawing and swearing lol!

Paul.

Edited by M_R_205

platty

A holesaw and hacksaw blade. Takes 3-4 minutes at most.

Bonzai
Mine is a pattern part too and the outer ring was a bit tight but soon gave in after a few whacks!!

How did you manage to get the hammer in? they only knock out from the inside out??

If we're racing, I reckon I could do it in under ten minutes now.... B)

Nick

thats right, i forgot (it was a long time ago now) i used a 12" extension in the socket, through the other bush hole lug bit. Its a bit ruined now though :)