• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Mi

Wishbone Bushes

Rippthrough

Just to cock you up even more - those bushes I posted are polybushes.

C_W
But that's the whole point. My bushes don't seem to be tight enough when bolted up as to put rotational load on the bush. Once on the wishbone can be moved easily without 'twisting' the rubber in the bush i.e. the bolt is taking the slight rotational load.

Sounds like there's something wrong there? the nut and bolt should clamp the subframe locations around centre metal part of the bush and be solid. The arm should in theory suspend outwards horizontally without anything else holding it up (they do sag though due to the weight of the wishbone itself); in fact this is an easier way of presetting the bushes than putting the wheel back on an dropping it back down on the floor; tighten them whilst holding the wishbone horizontal (although I tend to jack under the balljoint and compress the suspension till it lifts off the axle stand).

maturin23
Sounds like there's something wrong there? the nut and bolt should clamp the subframe locations around centre metal part of the bush and be solid. The arm should in theory suspend outwards horizontally without anything else holding it up (they do sag though due to the weight of the wishbone itself); in fact this is an easier way of presetting the bushes than putting the wheel back on an dropping it back down on the floor; tighten them whilst holding the wishbone horizontal (although I tend to jack under the balljoint and compress the suspension till it lifts off the axle stand).

^^^^ What he said!

Your old man is wrong just this once - and it sounds like all is not quite right with your setup.

With standard 'bones and OE bushes and the correct torque on the bolts (way higher than normal) the bushes are clamped tight and bush takes the rotational forces.

After doing mine up incorrectly the OE bushes lasted about 200 miles (all fairly hard driving) and were competely shot and it was quite obviously the twisting forces than caused the failure.

Chris_Mi

Thanks C_W. I'm definately going to look at this again when I change the suspension in a few weeks :) .

buster205

i'd fitted new w/bone midweek with car jacked up, i've backed off pivot bolts today and jacked up balljoint 'til car was lifted off axle stand then re-tightened bolts, hopefully this will suffice, i used the same nylock nuts i presume this will be ok as car had only covered a couple of miles on them. thanks for the tip

Ste