• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mnaylor9

205 Rear Beam's

mnaylor9

What is the easiest way to tell if a rear beam is in need of repair? I have done a search and found loads of topics about rear beams but not about how to find out if it is a problem or not.

Is there a way to tell from just looking at the rear wheels? For example if the wheel is very close to the arch?

Thanks

thefame
What is the easiest way to tell if a rear beam is in need of repair? I have done a search and found loads of topics about rear beams but not about how to find out if it is a problem or not.

Is there a way to tell from just looking at the rear wheels? For example if the wheel is very close to the arch?

Thanks

most of the time the rear beams seize up. so if u jack it up the wheel will not drop or move up and down. but if u look at the wheels from behind on the ground they will look like they have serious negative camber. and will either be rubbing or real close to rubbing on the inner arch! hope this helps you

Miles

Get it tracked up using all 4 wheels, Even if the beams move up and down this is not a sigh they are fine, you'll be surprized what looks OK isn;t

Dan@bar

I've got a similar problem. Do you get any warning noises like you do with the wheel bearings? My old mechanic in North Wales said there was horizontal play on my offside trailing arm, so I sourced a £350 recon beam with new bearings etc, and took it to a good garage up in the North East for fitting and an MOT. They passed the current beam as ok in the MOT and it seems ok on the road now! WTF? The camber is a bit out, but could that be a poor mans suspension drop or a ride height adjustment issue rather than arm bearing wear? :lol:

Guest tophatron

When I got my 205, one of the symptoms was an incredibly firm but bouncy ride at the back.

The bearings on that were totally shot though - it even failed it's MoT on it.

Anthony

There's several symptoms that you'll potentially get with a dying beam - excessive negative camber on one or both sides (wheels pointing in at the top, to the point of rubbing on the inner arch if it gets bad enough), siezed or excessively stiff on one or both sides, play between the arm and beamtube, clunking or knocking noises over bumps, squeaking sounds as the suspension moves up and down. You might only get one or two of these, but generally speaking, if you've got any of these symptoms then the beam is already past a cheap straightforward overhaul.

Even without any of these symptoms, it's still entirely possible that the beam is in a very sorry state - indeed, I'd go as far as to say that any 205 GTi these days that's still on its original rear beam will likely need overhauling, particularly if it's been lowered (which disturbs the seals and allows moisture to seep in and accelerate the death process).

Stu

As above, Anthony had pretty much covered the symptoms. I had a beam on my 205 that looked fine i.e. no adverse camber, and wasnt seized. I only took it apart to confirm that it was all ok.. This is what i found...

fubar.jpg

Needless to say, my 5minute inspection turned into a 4 day rebuild with a new tube!

Dan@bar

Thanks for the replies. I might get this recon beam put on after all!

DaveW

Stu my 306's beam was just like that on one side not seized up but when i came to strip the beam down one hit with the hammer and it came off! normaly they take a large hit or a very large sledge to knock the arms off...